An Examination of the Relation between State Fiscal Health and Amnesty Enactment
Assuming a normal distribution of hazards, Dubin, Graetz, and Wilde (1992) analyze state tax amnesties in the 1980s and conclude that states run amnesties in response to revenue yield motive. Given the increased frequency with which states enacted amnesties during and after the 2001 recession, we investigate if there is a possible shift from revenue yield motive to fiscal stress motive. We find that the normal distribution of hazards assumption along with the multicollinearity problem led prior research to an erroneous conclusion, and that fiscal stress is indeed the main determinant of initial and repeated tax amnesties enacted by states between 1982 and 2005.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Mail Stop 030, Reno, NV 89557-0207|
Phone: (775) 784-6450
Fax: (775) 784-4728
Web page: http://www.business.unr.edu/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rossana, Robert J & Seater, John J, 1995.
"Temporal Aggregation and Economic Time Series,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(4), pages 441-451, October.
- Benno Torgler & Christoph A. Schaltegger & Markus Schaffner, 2003. "Is Forgiveness Divine? A Cross-Culture Comparison of Tax Amnesties," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 139(III), pages 375-396, September.
- Benno Torgler & Christoph A. Schaltegger, 2005. "Tax Amnesties and Political Participation," Public Finance Review, , vol. 33(3), pages 403-431, May.
- repec:ntj:journl:v:42:y:1989:i:no._1:p:15-27 is not listed on IDEAS
- Malik, Arun S. & Schwab, Robert M., 1991. "The economics of tax amnesties," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 29-49, October.
- repec:ntj:journl:v:46:y:1993:i:no._4:p:463-76 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unr:wpaper:10-009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mehmet Tosun)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.