On the location of public bads: strategy-proofness under two-dimensional single-dipped preferences
In a model with finitely many agents who have single-dipped Euclidean preferences on a polytope inthe Euclidean plane, a rule assigns to each profile of reported dips a point of the polytope. Asingle-best point is a point which is the unique point at maximal distance from some other pointof the polytope. It is proved that any strategy-proof and Pareto optimal rule is a dictatorshipunless the polytope has exactly two single-best points or it has exactly four single-best pointswhich form the vertices of a rectangle. In the latter cases strategy-proof and Pareto optimalrules can be obtained by committee voting (simple games) between the single-best alternatives.This framework models situations where public bads such as garbage dumping grounds or nuclearplants have to be located within a confined region.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +31 (0)43 38 83 830
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marcus Berliant & Shin-Kun Peng & Ping Wang, 2012.
"Taxing Pollutuion: Agglomeration and Welfare Consequences,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa12p94, European Regional Science Association.
- Marcus Berliant & Shin-Kun Peng & Ping Wang, 2014. "Taxing pollution: agglomeration and welfare consequences," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 55(3), pages 665-704, April.
- Berliant, Marcus & Peng, Shin-Kun & Wang, Ping, 2011. "Taxing pollution: agglomeration and welfare consequences," MPRA Paper 34982, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Berliant, Marcus & Peng, Shin-Kun & Wang, Ping, 2012. "Taxing pollution: agglomeration and welfare consequences," MPRA Paper 40250, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Berliant, Marcus & Peng, Shin-Kun & Wang, Ping, 2013. "Taxing Pollution: Agglomeration and Welfare Consequences," MPRA Paper 45520, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kirman, Alan P. & Sondermann, Dieter, 1972.
"Arrow's theorem, many agents, and invisible dictators,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 267-277, October.
- KIRMAN, Alan P. & SONDERMANN, Dieter, . "Arrow's theorem, many agents, and indivisible dictators," CORE Discussion Papers RP -118, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- H. Moulin, 1980. "On strategy-proofness and single peakedness," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 437-455, January.
- Toyotaka Sakai, 2012. "Fair waste pricing: an axiomatic analysis to the NIMBY problem," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 50(2), pages 499-521, June.
- Salvador Barberà & Dolors Berga & and Bernardo Moreno, 2009.
"Domains, Ranges and Strategy-Proofness: The Case of Single-dipped Preferences,"
418, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Salvador Barberà & Dolors Berga & Bernardo Moreno, 2012. "Domains, ranges and strategy-proofness: the case of single-dipped preferences," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 39(2), pages 335-352, July.
- Öztürk, Murat & Peters, Hans & Storcken, Ton, 2013.
"Strategy-proof location of a public bad on a disc,"
Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 14-16.
- Martin Besfamille & Jean-Marie Lozachmeur, 2008.
"NIMBY and mechanism design under different constitutional constraints,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2008-11, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Martin Besfamille & Jean-Marie Lozachmeur, 2010. "NIMBY and mechanism design under different constitutional constraints," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 114-132, April.
- Gibbard, Allan, 1973. "Manipulation of Voting Schemes: A General Result," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 587-601, July.
- Denis Lescop, 2007. "Optimal mechanisms for siting noxious facilities," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 273-284, March.
- Bengt Hansson, 1976. "The existence of group preference functions," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 89-98, December.
- Klaus, Bettina & Peters, Hans & Storcken, Ton, 1997. "Strategy-proof division of a private good when preferences are single-dipped," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 339-346, September.
- Border, Kim C & Jordan, J S, 1983. "Straightforward Elections, Unanimity and Phantom Voters," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 153-70, January.
- Kunreuther, Howard & Kleindorfer, Paul R, 1986. "A Sealed-Bid Auction Mechanism for Siting Noxious Facilities," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 295-99, May.
- Lars Ehlers, 2002. "Probabilistic allocation rules and single-dipped preferences," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 325-348.
- Klaus, Bettina, 2001. "Coalitional Strategy-Proofness in Economies with Single-Dipped Preferences and the Assignment of an Indivisible Object," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 64-82, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unm:umamet:2012041. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Bollen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.