Public Debt and Functional Finance in an OLG Model with Imperfect Competition
This paper examines the role of fiscal policy in the long run. We show that (i) dynamic inefficiency may be empirically relevant in a modified Diamond OLG model with imperfect competition, (ii) fiscal policy may be needed to avoid inefficiency (if investment adjusts passively to saving) and maintain full employment (if investment and saving decisions are taken separately), (iii) a simple and distributionally neutral tax scheme can maintain full employment in the face of variations in 'household confidence', and (iv) the debt ratio is inversely related to both the growth rate and government consumption. JEL Categories: E62, E22
|Date of creation:||Dec 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.umass.edu/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Skott, . "Demand Policy in the Long Run," Economics Working Papers 2000-17, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Jan Kregel, 2010. "Fiscal Responsibility: What Exactly Does It Mean?," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_602, Levy Economics Institute.
- Philip Arestis & Malcolm Sawyer, 2010. "The return of fiscal policy," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 32(3), pages 327-346, April.
- Schlicht, Ekkehart, 2004.
"Public Debt as Private Wealth,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
371, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Ekkehart Schlicht, 2006. "Public Debt As Private Wealth: Some Equilibrium Considerations," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(4), pages 494-520, November.
- Hans Jørgen Jacobsen & Christian Schultz, 1991.
"On the Effectiveness of Economic Policy when Competition is Imperfect and Expectations are Rational,"
91-16, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Jacobsen, Hans Jorgen & Schultz, Christian, 1994. "On the effectiveness of economic policy when competition is imperfect and expectations are rational," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 305-327, February.
- Wynne Godley & Marc Lavoie, 2007.
"Fiscal Policy in a Stock-Flow Consistent (SFC) Model,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_494, Levy Economics Institute.
- Wynne Goldey & Marc Lavoie, 2007. "Fiscal policy in a stock-flow consistent (SFC) model," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 30(1), pages 79-100, October.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2010.
"Growth in a Time of Debt,"
NBER Working Papers
15639, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8973.
- Lopez-Garcia, Miguel-Angel, 2008. "On the role of public debt in an OLG model with endogenous labor supply," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 1323-1328, September.
- Paul Krugman & Gauti B. Eggertsson, 2011. "Debt, Deleveraging and the Liquidity Trap," 2011 Meeting Papers 1166, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Pagano, Marco, 1989.
"Imperfect Competition, Underemployment Equilibria and Fiscal Policy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
280, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pagano, Marco, 1990. "Imperfect Competition, Underemployment Equilibria and Fiscal Policy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(401), pages 440-63, June.
- d'ASPREMONT, C. & DOS SANTOS FERREIRA, R. & GÃ‰RARD-VARET, L.- A., .
"Imperfect competition in an overlapping generations model: a case for fiscal policy,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1144, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Claude d'ASPREMONT & Rodolphe DOS SANTOS FERREIRA & Louis-André GERARD-VARET, 1995. "Imperfect Competition in an Overlapping Generations Model: A Case for Fiscal Policy," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 37-38, pages 531-555.
- dÂ ASPREMONT, Claude & DOSÂ SANTOSÂ FERREIRA, Rodolphe & GERARD-VARET, Louis-AndrÃ©, 1994. "Imperfect Competition in an Overlapping Generations Model : A Case for Fiscal Policy," CORE Discussion Papers 1994077, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Soon Ryoo & Peter Skott, 2011.
"Public debt and full employment in a stock-flow consistent model of a corporate economy,"
UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers
2011-26, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Soon Ryoo & Peter Skott, 2013. "Public debt and full employment in a stock-flow consistent model of a corporate economy," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 35(4), pages 511-528, July.
- Daniel Leigh & Andrea Pescatori & Jaime Guajardo, 2011. "Expansionary Austerity New International Evidence," IMF Working Papers 11/158, International Monetary Fund.
- Finn Olesen, 2001. "Jørgen Pedersen: An Early Danish Contributor to Keynesian Economics," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 24(1), pages 31-40, October.
- Peter Skott & Soon Ryoo, 2008.
"Macroeconomic implications of financialisation,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 32(6), pages 827-862, November.
- Skott,Peter, 1989.
"Conflict and Effective Demand in Economic Growth,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521365963.
- Peter Skott & Takeshi Nakatani, 2006.
"Japanese growth and stagnation: a Keynesian perspective,"
UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers
2006-04, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Nakatani, Takeshi & Skott, Peter, 2007. "Japanese growth and stagnation: A Keynesian perspective," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 306-332, September.
- A. Michael Spence, 1977. "Entry, Capacity, Investment and Oligopolistic Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 8(2), pages 534-544, Autumn.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ums:papers:2012-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Arslan Razmi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.