Children's Working Hours, School Enrolment and Human Capital Accumulation: Evidence from Pakistan and Nicaragua
We analyse the determinants of school attendance and hours worked by children in Pakistan and Nicaragua. On the basis of a theoretical model of children's labour supply, we simultaneously estimate the school attendance decision and the hours worked by Full Model Maximum Likelihood. We analyse the marginal effects of explanatory variables conditioning on the "latent" status of children in terms of schooling and work. We show that these effects are rather different, and discuss the policy implication of this finding. Finally, we use our predicted hours of work to analyse the effects of work on children's school achievements.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 06 4341 2008
Fax: +39 06 6792 197
Web page: http://www.ucw-project.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Atella, Vincenzo & Rosati, Furio Camillo, 1999.
"Uncertainty about children's survival and fertility : a test using Indian microdata,"
Social Protection Discussion Papers
21334, The World Bank.
- Vincenzo Atella & Furio Camillo Rosati, 2000. "Uncertainty about children's survival and fertility: A test using indian microdata," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 263-278.
- Ray, Ranjan, 2000. "Child Labor, Child Schooling, and Their Interaction with Adult Labor: Empirical Evidence for Peru and Pakistan," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 14(2), pages 347-67, May.
- Grossman, Michael, 1982. "The demand for health after a decade," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 1-3, May.
- Heady, Christopher, 2003. "The Effect of Child Labor on Learning Achievement," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 385-398, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucw:worpap:8. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gabriella Breglia)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.