The Spanish pattern of aid giving
The geographical allocation of Spanish aid has been little studied, despite the fact that it is unusually concentrated on middle-income countries. This paper sets out a model of Spanish ODA policy based on a mixture of recipient needs, donor interests and effectiveness considerations. Moreover it analyses both the aid-partner selection process and the eventual aid-quota allocation. The results show that Spain has followed an eclectic pattern of aid allocation, involving recipient needs, but where self-interest predominates and performance criteria are absent. The apparently insufficient progressiveness of the Spanish allocation is due mainly to the influence of the post-colonial links –although these links have characterized the geographical specialization of all donor countries that were once colonial metropolises.
|Length:||34 pages ISBN Number: 978-84-691-4735-1|
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: 34 91 394 24 87
Web page: https://www.ucm.es/icei/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Instituto Complutense de Estudios Internacionales. Finca Mas Ferre Campus de Somosaguas 28223 Madrid|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feyzioglu, Tarhan & Swaroop, Vinaya & Zhu, Min, 1998. "A Panel Data Analysis of the Fungibility of Foreign Aid," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 12(1), pages 29-58, January.
- Lahiri, Sajal & Raimondos-Moller, Pascalis, 2000.
"Lobbying by Ethnic Groups and Aid Allocation,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C62-79, March.
- Alesina, Alberto & Weder, Beatrice, 2002.
"Do Corrupt Governments Receive Less Foreign Aid?,"
4553011, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Finn Tarp & Christian F. Bach & Henrik Hansen & Søren Baunsgaard, 1998. "Danish Aid Policy: Theory and Empirical Evidence," Discussion Papers 98-06, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Collier, Paul & Dollar, David, 1999.
"Aid allocation and poverty reduction,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2041, The World Bank.
- Dudley, Leonard & Montmarquette, Claude, 1976. "A Model of the Supply of Bilateral Foreign Aid," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(1), pages 132-42, March.
- Isopi, Alessia & Mavrotas, George, 2006. "Aid Allocation and Aid Effectiveness: An Empirical Analysis," Working Paper Series RP2006/07, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucm:wpaper:04-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Águeda González Abad)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.