Innovative MNEs’ Subsidiaries in different domestic environments
Foreign firms performing R&D abroad present two types of implications for the local systems of innovation, which can be described as a loop going in two directions: R&D-intensive affiliates may contribute to the generation of innovation, upgrading the technological level of the host economy; on the other hand, their innovation dynamics may be conditioned by locations. The aim is to analyse the local embeddedness of foreign firms measuring the impact of the innovation sources, the role of public funds and the cooperative relationships in the innovativeness of foreign firms. The sample is constructed on data from the Community Innovation Survey (CIS 3) and the analysis is replicated for three European countries: Germany, Norway and Spain. Our aim is to asses to what extent there exist countries’ and industries’ effects on the innovative activities of MNE subsidiaries.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Finca Mas Ferre, Campus de Somosaguas, 28223 Madrid|
Phone: +34 913942495
Fax: 34 91 394 24 87
Web page: https://www.ucm.es/icei/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Instituto Complutense de Estudios Internacionales. Finca Mas Ferre Campus de Somosaguas 28223 Madrid|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1998.
" Multinational Corporations and Spillovers,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 247-77, July.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996. "Multinational Corporations and Spillovers," CEPR Discussion Papers 1365, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996. "Multinational Corporations and Spillovers," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 99, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Granstrand, Ove & Hakanson, Lars & Sjolander, Soren, 1993. "Internationalization of R&D -- a survey of some recent research," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(5-6), pages 413-430, November.
- Archibugi, Daniele & Michie, Jonathan, 1995. "The Globalisation of Technology: A New Taxonomy," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(1), pages 121-40, February.
- Suma Athreye & John Cantwell, 2005.
"Creating Competition? Globalisation and the emergence of new technology producers,"
Open Discussion Papers in Economics
52, The Open University, Faculty of Social Sciences, Department of Economics.
- Athreye, Suma & Cantwell, John, 2007. "Creating competition?: Globalisation and the emergence of new technology producers," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 209-226, March.
- Patel, Pari & Vega, Modesto, 1999. "Patterns of internationalisation of corporate technology: location vs. home country advantages1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 145-155, March.
- Johansson, Börje & Lööf, Hans, 2006. "Global Location Patterns of R&D Investments," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 60, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Alvarez, Isabel & Molero, Jose, 2005.
"Technology and the generation of international knowledge spillovers: An application to Spanish manufacturing firms,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1440-1452, November.
- Isabel Álvarez & José Molero Zayas, 2004. "Technology and the Generation of International Knowledge Spillovers. An Application to Spanish Manufacturing Firms," Working Papers del Instituto Complutense de Estudios Internacionales 01-04, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Instituto Complutense de Estudios Internacionales.
- Dosi, Giovanni & Llerena, Patrick & Labini, Mauro Sylos, 2006. "The relationships between science, technologies and their industrial exploitation: An illustration through the myths and realities of the so-called `European Paradox'," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 1450-1464, December.
- Jaideep Anand & Bruce Kogut, 1997. "Technological Capabilities of Countries, Firm Rivalry and Foreign Direct Investments," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(3), pages 445-465, September.
- Kuemmerle, Walter, 1999. "Foreign direct investment in industrial research in the pharmaceutical and electronics industries--results from a survey of multinational firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 179-193, March.
- Molero, Jose & Buesa, Mikel, 1993. "Multinational companies and technological change: Basic traits and taxonomy of the behaviour of German industrial companies in Spain," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 265-278, June.
- Pearce, Robert D., 1999. "Decentralised R&D and strategic competitiveness: globalised approaches to generation and use of technology in multinational enterprises (MNEs)," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(2-3), pages 157-178, March.
- Nelson, Richard R., 2008. "What enables rapid economic progress: What are the needed institutions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 1-11, February.
- Pavitt, Keith, 1984. "Sectoral patterns of technical change: Towards a taxonomy and a theory," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 343-373, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucm:wpaper:01-09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Águeda González Abad)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.