Debt crises, political change and the state in the developing world
Dealing with increasing foreign debt has become a key part of government strategy across the developing world, particularly in wake of the payment crises that have shaken south-east Asia, Latin America, Turkey and Russia over the past decade. This working paper seeks to analyze how the political systems in these countries have adapted to the grave problems created by unpayable debt, examining in the process the structure of modern global finance, the history of the state in the developing world, and the demands placed upon governments by sudden rises in poverty and general economic turmoil. Focusing on case-studies of Argentina, Indonesia and Zambia, the paper unpicks the dynamics of these crises, suggesting that certain states have managed to strengthen their freedom of action and authority by recasting their relations with the public at home and with foreign lenders.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: 34 91 394 24 87
Web page: https://www.ucm.es/icei/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Instituto Complutense de Estudios Internacionales. Finca Mas Ferre Campus de Somosaguas 28223 Madrid|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Graham Bird & Alistair Milne, 2003. "Debt Relief for Low Income Countries: Is it Effective and Efficient?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(1), pages 43-59, January.
- Martin Feldstein, 2002. "Economic and Financial Crises in Emerging Market Economies: Overview of Prevention and Management," NBER Working Papers 8837, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ernesto H. Stein & Natalia Salazar & Roberto Steiner & Eugenio Díaz-Bonilla & Marco Bonomo & Juan C. Jaramillo & Hector E. Schamis & Alberto Pascó-Front & Piero Ghezzi & Maria Cristina Terra & José De, 2001. "The Currency Game: Exchange Rate Politics in Latin America," IDB Publications (Books), Inter-American Development Bank, number 77398 edited by Ernesto H. Stein & Jeffry Frieden, march.
- Kenneth Kletzer, 2003. "Sovereign Bond Restructuring; Collective Action Clauses and official Crisis Intervention," IMF Working Papers 03/134, International Monetary Fund.
- repec:idb:brikps:77398 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yvonne M. Tsikata, 2001. "Globalisation, Poverty and Inequality in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Political Economy Appraisal," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 183, OECD Publishing.
- Kadima D. Kalonji & Boileau Loko & Raj Nallari & Montfort Mlachila, 2003. "The Impact of External Indebtednesson Poverty in Low-Income Countries," IMF Working Papers 03/61, International Monetary Fund.
- Sahoko Kaji, 2001. "What Can Countries Do to Avoid a Financial Crisis?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(4), pages 567-589, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucm:wpaper:01-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Águeda González Abad)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.