Value-Added Tax Treatment of Public Sector Bodies and Non-Profit Organizations: A Developing Country Perspective
The application of the value-added tax to public sector bodies, non-profit organizations and charitable organizations substantially departs from full taxation in most VAT regimes around the world. The problems with the mostly exempt regime for those organizations are reviewed. Options to modify or replace the regimes are reviewed and assessed from the perspective of developing and transitional economies. The Australian-New Zealand model, where all goods and services supplied by those organizations are within the scope of the tax, emerges as the preferred option. Nevertheless, a gradualist policy may be better suited to the circumstance of many developing and transitional economies.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 105 St. George St., Toronto, Ontario, M5S 3E6|
Phone: 416 978 2451
Web page: http://www-2.rotman.utoronto.ca/iib
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jenkins, Glenn P. & Kuo, Chun-Yan, 2000.
"A VAT Revenue Simulation Model for Tax Reform in Developing Countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 763-774, April.
- Jenkins, G-P & Kuo, C-Y, 1995. "A Vat Revenue Simulation Model for Tax Reform in Developing Countries," Papers 522, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Glenn Jenkins & Rup Khadka, 1998. "Value Added Tax Policy And Implementation In Singapore," Development Discussion Papers 1998-02, JDI Executive Programs.
- E. Dijkgraaf & R. Gradus, 2003. "Cost Savings of Contracting Out Refuse Collection," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 30(2), pages 149-161, June.
- Elbert Dijkgraaf & Raymond Gradus, 2004. "Cost savings of contracting out refuse collection," Public Economics 0409002, EconWPA.
- E. Dijkgraaf & R. H. J. M. Gradus & B. Melenberg, 2003. "Contracting out refuse collection," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 553-570, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ttp:itpwps:0514. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Bird)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.