Value-Added Taxes in Developing and Transitional Countries: Lessons and Questions
The value-added tax has, in recent decades, become the most important single tax in most developing and transitional economies. This paper reviews some problems that have emerged as important as more experience has been gained with how VATs really work in many such countries and suggests some lines of research that need to be explored further to overcome those problems.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 105 St. George St., Toronto, Ontario, M5S 3E6|
Phone: 416 978 2451
Web page: http://www-2.rotman.utoronto.ca/iib
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Jacques Laffont, 2004. "Management of Public Utilities in China," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 5(2), pages 185-210, November.
- Alexandre Mathis, 2004. "VAT indicators," Taxation Papers 2, Directorate General Taxation and Customs Union, European Commission, revised Apr 2004.
- Michael Keen & Jenny Elisabeth Ligthart, 1999.
"Coordinating Tariff Reduction and Domestic Tax Reform,"
IMF Working Papers
99/93, International Monetary Fund.
- Keen, Michael & Ligthart, Jenny E., 2002. "Coordinating tariff reduction and domestic tax reform," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 489-507, March.
- Auriol, Emmanuelle & Warlters, Michael, 2005.
"Taxation base in developing countries,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(4), pages 625-646, April.
- M. Shahe Emran & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2002.
"On Selective Indirect Tax Reform in Developing Countries,"
- Emran, M. Shahe & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2005. "On selective indirect tax reform in developing countries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(4), pages 599-623, April.
- Keen, Michael & Mintz, Jack, 2004. "The optimal threshold for a value-added tax," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(3-4), pages 559-576, March.
- Olivier P. Benon & Katherine Baer & Juan Toro R., 2002. "Improving Large Taxpayers' Compliance; A Review of Country Experience," IMF Occasional Papers 215, International Monetary Fund.
- Shantayanan Devarajan & Ritva Reinikka, 2004. "Making Services Work for Poor People," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 13(1), pages i142-i166, July.
- Alan A. Tait, 1991. "Value-Added Tax; Administrative and Policy Issues," IMF Occasional Papers 88, International Monetary Fund.
- repec:npf:wpaper:07 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rajaraman, Indira, 2004. "Fiscal restructuring in the context of trade reform," Working Papers 04/7, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- James R. Hines, 2004. "Might Fundamental Tax Reform Increase Criminal Activity?," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 71(283), pages 483-492, 08.
- Richard M. Bird & Sally Wallace, 2003. "Is It Really so Hard to Tax the Hard-to-Tax? The Context and Role of Presumptive Taxes," International Tax Program Papers 0307, International Tax Program, Institute for International Business, Joseph L. Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ttp:itpwps:0505. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Bird)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.