Conduit Entities: Implications of Indirect Tax-Efficient Financing Structures for Real Investment
As well known, companies shift income from high to low tax jurisdictions. Typically, profit shifting is achieved by “direct” financing structures whereby companies use debt finance in the high tax entity and equity finance in the low tax entity. However, certain tax policies can lead to “indirect” financing structures whereby a conduit entity provides an opportunity to achieve at least two deductions for interest expenses for an investment made in the host country. The effect of “direct” and “indirect” financing structures on real investment is compared.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2003|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2004|
|Publication status:||Published under same title in International Tax and Public Finance, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 419-34.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 105 St. George St., Toronto, Ontario, M5S 3E6|
Phone: 416 978 2451
Web page: http://www-2.rotman.utoronto.ca/iib
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mintz, Jack & Smart, Michael, 2004.
"Income shifting, investment, and tax competition: theory and evidence from provincial taxation in Canada,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(6), pages 1149-1168, June.
- Jack Mintz & Michael Smart, 2001. "Income Shifting, Investment, and Tax Competition: Theory and Evidence from Provincial Taxation in Canada," CESifo Working Paper Series 554, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jack M. Mintz & Michael Smart, 2001. "Income Shifting, Investment, and Tax Competition: Theory and Evidence from Provincial Taxation in Canada," International Tax Program Papers 0402, International Tax Program, Institute for International Business, Joseph L. Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto, revised Apr 2003.
- Haufler, Andreas & Schjelderup, Guttorm, 2000.
"Corporate tax systems and cross country profit shifting,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20419, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Haufler, Andreas & Schjelderup, Guttorm, 2000. "Corporate Tax Systems and Cross Country Profit Shifting," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 52(2), pages 306-325, April.
- Haufler, A. & Schjelderup, G., 1999. "Corporate Tax Systems and Cross Country Profit Shifting," Papers 1/99, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Rosanne Altshuler & Jack Mintz, 1994.
"U.S. Interest Allocation Rules: Effects and Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
4712, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rosanne Altshuler & Jack Mintz, 1995. "U.S. interest-allocation rules: Effects and policy," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 2(1), pages 7-35, February.
- Rosanne Altshuler & Jack Mintz, 1996. "U.S. Interest Allocation Rules: Effects and Policy," Departmental Working Papers 199410, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Alfons Weichenrieder, 1996. "Anti-tax-avoidance provisions and the size of foreign direct investment," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 3(1), pages 67-81, January.
- Harry Huizinga, 1994.
"International interest withholding taxation: Prospects for a common European policy,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 1(3), pages 277-291, October.
- Huizinga, H.P., 1994. "International interest withholding taxation : Prospects for a common European policy," Other publications TiSEM 3d92ccee-19e6-4a36-8a00-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Clemens Fuest & Bernd Huber & Jack Mintz, 2003. "Capital Mobility and Tax Competition: A Survey," CESifo Working Paper Series 956, CESifo Group Munich.
- Weichenrieder, Alfons J, 1996. " Transfer Pricing, Double Taxation, and the Cost of Capital," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 98(3), pages 445-452.
- Thomas A. Gresik, 2001. "The Taxing Task of Taxing Transnationals," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(3), pages 800-838, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ttp:itpwps:0410. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Bird)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.