Intergovernmental Transfers and Municipal Finance in Colombia
For the past fifteen years, Colombia has been engaged in a grand experiment in decentralization. Since 1986, subnational government spending has increased dramatically, as the regions have assumed greater control of health and education programs and other local services, and an increasing fraction of national revenues have been earmarked for transfer to lower-level governments. This paper examines fiscal data for a large number of Colombian municipalities for the 1985-99 period. Our first goal is to describe the effects of the transfer system on horizontal balance among municipalities. By our estimates, the fiscal capacities of Colombian municipalities differ substantially, which is a major challenge to designing an effective system of decentralization. Our second goal is to draw some inferences from the data about how the current system of transfers has affected the level of local taxation and spending, and the pattern of spending across functional categories. Our data cover a period that straddles the major reform in the allocation of municipal transfers that resulted from Law 60 in 1993. This permits a more accurate assessment of the effects of transfers than has been possible in previous research.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 105 St. George St., Toronto, Ontario, M5S 3E6|
Phone: 416 978 2451
Web page: http://www-2.rotman.utoronto.ca/iib
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anwar Shah, 1996. "A Fiscal Need Approach to Equalization," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 22(2), pages 99-115, June.
- Juan José Echavarría Soto & Carolina Rentería & Roberto Steiner, 2000.
"Decentralization and Bailouts in Colombia,"
INFORMES DE INVESTIGACIÓN
- Juan Jose Echavarria & Carolina Renteria & Roberto Steiner, 2002. "Decentralization and Bailouts in Colombia," Research Department Publications 3138, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Juan José Echavarría & Carolina Rentería & Roberto Steiner, 2002. "Decentralization and Bailouts in Colombia," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 5578, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Bird, Richard M. & Smart, Michael, 2002. "Intergovernmental Fiscal Transfers: International Lessons for Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 899-912, June.
- Dillinger, William & Webb, Steven B., 1999. "Decentralization and fiscal management in Colombia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2122, The World Bank.
- James R. Hines & Richard H. Thaler, 1995. "The Flypaper Effect," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 217-226, Fall. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)