Market Interconnection and Wages
We study the impacts of terms trade changes on absolute and the real wages of skilled and unskilled labor and their gaps for an economy specialized in export production. We show an interesting result where wage behavior as well as the skilled-unskilled wage gap depend on elasticity of import demand, unlike in 3x2 classical-neoclassical speci c-factor model of trade. Although, our analysis is in the spirit of Stolper-Samuelson theorem, given the structure of our model, factor intensity plays no role in our results as in the speci c-factor model.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 6900 North Loop 1604 West, San Antonio, TX 78249-0631|
Web page: http://business.utsa.edu/wps
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit & Yabuuchi, Shigemi, 2007.
"Economic liberalization and wage inequality in the presence of labour market imperfection,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 592-603.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri & Shigemi Yabuuchi, 2005. "Economic Liberalization And Wage Inequality In The Presence Of Labour Market Imperfection," International Trade 0510008, EconWPA.
- Jones, Ronald W., 1996. "International trade, real wages, and technical progress: The specific-factors model," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 113-124.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 2005. "A trade theorist's take on skilled-labor outsourcing," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 259-271.
- Alan V. Deardorff, 2004. "A Trade Theorist’s Take on Skilled-Labor Outsourcing," Working Papers 519, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Jones, Ronald W, 1974. "Trade with Non-traded Goods: The Anatomy of Inter-connected Markets," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 41(162), pages 121-138, May.
- Batra, Ravi, 1992. "The Fallacy of Free Trade," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(1), pages 19-31, November.
- Jones, Ronald W & Engerman, Stanley L, 1996. "Trade, Technology, and Wages: A Tale of Two Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 35-40, May.
- Reza Oladi & Hamid Beladi, 2008. "Non-traded Goods, Technical Progress and Wages," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 507-515, September.
- Hamid Beladi & Ravi Batra, 2004. "Traded and Nontraded Goods and Real Wages," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(1), pages 1-14, 02.
- Jones, Ronald W., 2008. "Key international trade theorems and large shocks," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 103-112.
- Bound, John & Johnson, George, 1992. "Changes in the Structure of Wages in the 1980's: An Evaluation of Alternative Explanations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 371-392, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)