Resurgence of Selective Industrial Policy: What Turkey Needs
Three decades of Turkish experience with nonselective industrial policies (consistent with neoliberal policy) clearly demonstrates that structural transformation in Turkish economy could not be achieved. In this paper, we have three motivations. Our first motivation is to discuss overall industrial policy developments in Turkey since 1980s. Secondly, we aim to recommend feasible selective industrial policies for Turkey to support structural transformation. Thirdly, we comment on new Industrial Policy Strategy in Turkey. In that respect, our three basic research questions are, firstly, “is there still any meaningful space to implement industrial policy in developing countries such as Turkey?”, secondly, “which policies could be used?” and thirdly, “what are the main shortcomings of new Industrial Policy Strategy in Turkey?”. Our research demonstrates that there is still meaningful space to implement selective industrial policy in developing countries such as Turkey. Moreover, new Turkish Industrialization Strategy needs significant revisions if it genuinely aims at structural transformation in Turkey.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hoşdere Cad. 24/4, TR-Çankaya, Ankara|
Phone: (+90 312) 468 25 89
Fax: (+90 312) 468 25 99
Web page: http://www.tek.org.tr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Irfan ul Haque, 2007. "Rethinking Industrial Policy," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 183, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Mehdi SHAFAEDDIN, 1998. "How Did Developed Countries Industrialize? The History Of Trade And Industrial Policy: The Cases Of Great Britain And The Usa," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 139, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Shafaeddin, Mehdi, 2006. "Is The Industrial Policy Relevant In The 21st Century?," MPRA Paper 6643, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ha-Joon Chang, 2010. "Industrial Policy: Can We Go Beyond an Unproductive Confrontation?," Working Papers 2010/1, Turkish Economic Association.
- Chang, Ha-Joon, 2006. "Industrial policy in East Asia - lessons for Europe," EIB Papers 11/2006, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tek:wpaper:2011/3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ercan Uygur)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.