Economics of Marine Pollution
Large overloads of nutrients are one of many stresses on coastal and marine ecosystems and there is a need for policies that reduce nutrient emissions. This thesis contributes to the knowledge about policy design for marine pollutants. All applications are made to nutrient emissions to the Baltic Sea, but the concepts and issues are likely to be relevant also for the management of other regional seas. Three of the included studies analyze cost-effective policies for reduced eutrophication. In the fourth study, game theory is used to analyze countries' choice of abatement level when abatement costs are uncertain. Two major messages emerge from the thesis. The first message concerns the current de facto policy in the Baltic Sea region, where uniform reduction rates are applied for nutrients and countries. Abandoning these uniform reduction rates can save costs. If uniform reductions for countries or nutrients are replaced by cost-effective reductions, then, in either case, more abatement is called for in the countries in transition. This, in turn, might require international institutions that can distribute the costs of abatement among all countries in Baltic Sea region. The second message is that uncertainty is of importance for policy design. Firstly, nutrient loads to coastal waters are stochastic and if peak loads cause high environmental damage, then, in order to reduce total abatement cost, abatement efforts should be particularly high at sources and in regions where abatement leads to large reductions in load variations. Secondly, unilateral abatement, that is undertaken in one country with a purpose to reduce uncertainty about abatement costs and thereby encourage another country to follow, might lead to larger emissions in total and lower utility in both countries.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 018-67 1724
Fax: 018-67 3502
Web page: http://www.slu.se/ekonomi
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Albaek, Svend, 1990. "Stackelberg Leadership as a Natural Solution under Cost Uncertainty," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(3), pages 335-47, March.
- Eric van Damme & Sjaak Hurkens, 1996.
"Endogenous Stackelberg leadership,"
Economics Working Papers
190, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- van Damme, E.E.C. & Hurkens, J.P.M., 1999. "Endogenous Stackelberg leadership," Other publications TiSEM 83a05fd8-4285-48f3-84ef-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- van Damme, E.E.C. & Hurkens, S., 1998. "Endogenous Stackelberg leadership," Other publications TiSEM fc1a6ca3-d618-4bc5-a115-f, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- van Damme, E.E.C. & Hurkens, J.P.M., 1996. "Endogenous Stackelberg Leadership," Discussion Paper 1996-115, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Robert G. Chambers & Erik Lichtenberg, 1996.
"A Nonparametric Approach to the von Liebig-Paris Technology,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(2), pages 373-386.
- Chambers, Robert G. & Lichtenberg, Erik, 1994. "A Nonparametric Approach to the von Liebig-Paris Technology," Working Papers 197799, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- McSweeny, William T. & Shortle, James S., 1990. "Probabilistic Cost Effectiveness In Agricultural Nonpoint Pollution Control," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(01), July.
- Winston Harrington & Richard D. Morgenstern & Peter Nelson, 2000. "On the accuracy of regulatory cost estimates," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(2), pages 297-322.
- Berck, Peter & Geoghegan, Jacqueline & Stohs, Stephen, 1998.
"A strong test of the von Liebig hypothesis,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt0b81x36x, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Markowska, Agnieszka & Zylicz, Tomasz, 1999. "Costing an international public good: the case of the Baltic Sea," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 301-316, August.
- Ing-Marie Gren, 2001. "International Versus National Actions Against Nitrogen Pollution of the Baltic Sea," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 20(1), pages 41-59, September.
- Yiridoe, Emmanuel K. & Weersink, Alfons, 1998. "Marginal Abatement Costs Of Reducing Groundwater-N Pollution With Intensive And Extensive Farm Management Choices," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 27(2), October.
- Wier, Mette & Hasler, Berit, 1999. "Accounting for nitrogen in Denmark--a structural decomposition analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 317-331, August.
- Bystrom, Olof & Andersson, Hans & Gren, Ing-Marie, 2000. "Economic criteria for using wetlands as nitrogen sinks under uncertainty," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 35-45, October.
- Richard Horan, 2001. "Cost-Effective and Stochastic Dominance Approaches to Stochastic Pollution Control," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 18(4), pages 373-389, April.
- Segerson, Kathleen, 1988. "Uncertainty and incentives for nonpoint pollution control," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 87-98, March.
- Hart, Rob, 2003. "Dynamic pollution control--time lags and optimal restoration of marine ecosystems," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 79-93, November.
- Naevdal, Eric, 1999. "Optimal Regulation Of Eutrophying Lakes, Fjords And Rivers In The Presence Of Threshold Effects," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21619, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Sadanand, Asha & Sadanand, Venkatraman, 1996. "Firm Scale and the Endogenous Timing of Entry: a Choice between Commitment and Flexibility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 516-530, August.
- Rob van der Veeren & Richard Tol, 2001. "Benefits of a Reallocation of Nitrate Emission Reductions in the Rhine River Basin," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 18(1), pages 19-41, January.
- Turner, R. Kerry & Georgiou, Stavros & Gren, Ing-Marie & Wulff, Fredric & Barrett, Scott & Soderqvist, Tore & Bateman, Ian J. & Folke, Carl & Langaas, Sindre & Zylicz, Tomasz, 1999. "Managing nutrient fluxes and pollution in the Baltic: an interdisciplinary simulation study," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 333-352, August.
- Johnsen, Fred H, 1993. "Economic Analyses of Measures to Control Phosphorus Run-Off from Non-point Agricultural," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 20(4), pages 399-418.
- Ing-Marie Gren & Paul Jannke & Katarina Elofsson, 1997. "Cost-Effective Nutrient Reductions to the Baltic Sea," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 10(4), pages 341-362, December.
- Goetz, Renan U. & Zilberman, David, 2000. "The dynamics of spatial pollution: The case of phosphorus runoff from agricultural land," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 143-163, January.
- Beavis, Brian & Walker, Martin, 1983. "Achieving environmental standards with stochastic discharges," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 103-111, June.
- Archer, David W. & Shogren, Jason F., 2001. "Risk-indexed herbicide taxes to reduce ground and surface water pollution: an integrated ecological economics evaluation," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 227-250, August.
- Beavis, Brian & Walker, Martin, 1979. "Interactive pollutants and joint abatement costs: Achieving water quality standards with effluent charges," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 275-286, December.
- Barrett, Scott, 1994. "Self-Enforcing International Environmental Agreements," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(0), pages 878-94, Supplemen.
- C. S. Kim & John E. Hostetler, 1991. "Policy Implications of a Water Quality-constrained Dynamic Model of Nitrogen Fertilizer Use," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 39(4), pages 781-791, December.
- Fleming, R. A. & Adams, R. M., 1997. "The Importance of Site-Specific Information in the Design of Policies to Control Pollution," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 347-358, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sua:ekonwp:78. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alejandro Engelmann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.