Site selection for an umbrella species
This paper develops a stochastic dynamic model for the purpose of optimal site selection of habitats for an umbrella species in Sweden under conditions of uncertainty in the growth of habitat quality of established conservation areas and in acquisition costs. The numerical dynamic model builds on inputs from an ecological model of habitat development and an economic model of actual payments for biodiversity conservation in Swedish forests. The results point at the importance of including both types of uncertainties; total social costs for achieving given habitat targets under probabilistic constraints increase three fold as compared with the deterministic case. Another effect of the introduction of uncertainty is the earlier establishment of habitats due to need of extra establishments in order to achieve the target with a certain probability. When comparing optimal payment per ha conservation with actual payments it was noticed that there is a considerable difference among counties; while actual payments for some counties are quite close to optimal payments under any of the uncertainty conditions they can deviate largely for some other counties.
|Date of creation:||20 Dec 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 018-67 1724
Fax: 018-67 3502
Web page: http://www.slu.se/ekonomi
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wu, JunJie & Skelton-Groth, Katharine, 2002. "Targeting conservation efforts in the presence of threshold effects and ecosystem linkages," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1-2), pages 313-331, August.
- Lewis, David J. & Plantinga, Andrew J. & Wu, JunJie, 2008.
"Targeting Incentives to Reduce Habitat Fragmentation,"
Staff Paper Series
531, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- David J. Lewis & Andrew J. Plantinga & JunJie Wu, 2009. "Targeting Incentives to Reduce Habitat Fragmentation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(4), pages 1080-1096.
- Adina M. Merenlender, 2006. "Habitat and Open Space at Risk of Land-Use Conversion: Targeting Strategies for Land Conservation," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(1), pages 28-42.
- Vatn, Arild, 2010. "An institutional analysis of payments for environmental services," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(6), pages 1245-1252, April.
- Stephen Polasky & Jeffrey D. Camm & Brian Garber-Yonts, 2001. "Selecting Biological Reserves Cost-Effectively: An Application to Terrestrial Vertebrate Conservation in Oregon," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 77(1), pages 68-78.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sua:ekonwp:5886. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alejandro Engelmann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.