A numerical model for dynamic cost effective mitigation of eutrophication with spatial heterogeneity in the Baltic Sea
The purpose of this paper is to present the dynamic model for the calculation of cost effective nutrient abatement for a marine sea with heterogeneous coupled marine basins which differ with respect to fast and slow responses to changes in external nutrient loads. A discrete dynamic model with heterogeneous sites â€“ drainage and marine basins â€“ is developed. The application to the Baltic Sea for achievement of the ministerial agreement among the riparian countries on water quality targets (Helsinki Commission Baltic Sea Action Plan) shows expected results; abatement is increasing over time and Poland faces the largest cost burdens. A specific finding is that, in spite of the complex and interlinked nutrient transports, policy design is facilitated by the stringent phosphorus load target on one specific marine basin, Baltic Proper, which is characterised by a relatively slow dynamic process and large interchange with other basins. The achievement of the phosphorus target in this basin then implies fulfilment of nutrient targets in the other basins. It is also shown that total costs under the dynamic cost effective solution can be considerably lower than the nutrient reduction program suggested by the international ministerial agreement, Helcom BSAP.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Box 7013, 750 07 UPPSALA|
Phone: 018-67 1724
Fax: 018-67 3502
Web page: http://www.slu.se/ekonomi
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mäler, K-G. & Xepapadeas, A. & de Zeeuw, A.J., 2000.
"The Economics of Shallow Lakes,"
2000-69, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Honkatukia, Juha & Ollikainen, Markku, 2001. "Towards Efficient Pollution Control in the Baltic Sea. An anatomy of current failure with suggestions," Discussion Papers 755, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 1998.
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1843, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Smith, Martin D. & Sanchirico, James N. & Wilen, James E., 2009. "The economics of spatial-dynamic processes: Applications to renewable resources," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 104-121, January.
- Gren, Ing-Marie & Jonzon, Ylva & Lindqvist, Martin, 2008. "Costs of nutrient reductions to the Baltic Sea," Department of Economics publications 3212, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Department of Economics.
- Elofsson, Katarina & Folmer, Henk & Gren, Ing-Marie, 2003. "Management of eutrophicated coastal ecosystems: a synopsis of the literature with emphasis on theory and methodology," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 1-11, November.
- Laukkanen, Marita & Huhtala, Anni, 2006.
"Optimal Management of a Eutrophied Coastal Ecosystem: Balancing Agricultural and Municipal Abatement Measures,"
11856, MTT Agrifood Research Finland.
- Marita Laukkanen & Anni Huhtala, 2008. "Optimal management of a eutrophied coastal ecosystem: balancing agricultural and municipal abatement measures," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 39(2), pages 139-159, February.
- Ing-Marie Gren, 2001. "International Versus National Actions Against Nitrogen Pollution of the Baltic Sea," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 20(1), pages 41-59, September.
- Elofsson, Katarina, 2003. "Cost-effective reductions of stochastic agricultural loads to the Baltic Sea," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 13-31, November.
- Ing-Marie Gren & Paul Jannke & Katarina Elofsson, 1997. "Cost-Effective Nutrient Reductions to the Baltic Sea," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 10(4), pages 341-362, December.
- Cathrine Hagem & Hege Westskog, 2008. "Intertemporal Emission Trading with a Dominant Agent: How does a Restriction on Borrowing Affect Efficiency?," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 40(2), pages 217-232, June.
- Katarina Elofsson, 2007. "Cost Uncertainty and Unilateral Abatement," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 36(2), pages 143-162, February.
- Naevdal, Eric, 1999. "Optimal Regulation Of Eutrophying Lakes, Fjords And Rivers In The Presence Of Threshold Effects," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21619, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Goetz, Renan U. & Zilberman, David, 2000. "The dynamics of spatial pollution: The case of phosphorus runoff from agricultural land," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 143-163, January.
- Griffin, James M, 1978. "Joint Production Technology: The Case of Petrochemicals," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(2), pages 379-96, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sua:ekonwp:4311. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alejandro Engelmann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.