A trade performance analysis of fresh fruit and vegetables in Mediterranean countries
For many of the countries surrounding the Mediterranean Sea, fruit and vegetables are very important products. In light of the increasing trade liberalization and thus increasing competition between countries, this paper aims to investigate the competitiveness of ten Mediterranean countries with respect to fresh fruit and vegetables. The analysis rests on two foundations. Firstly, a set of indicators are calculated to give a general impression of trends and potentials. Secondly, two constant market share analyses are performed. In the first analysis, the countriesâ€™ competitiveness in world trade is investigated and used as a reference scenario. In the second analysis, the investigated countriesâ€™ competitiveness has been investigated with respect to trade with one major trading partner; the European Union. The results generally show that the competitiveness of the investigated countries has deteriorated over the period.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 018-67 1724
Fax: 018-67 3502
Web page: http://www.slu.se/ekonomi
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alvarez-Coque, Jose Maria Garcia & Bautista, Romeo M., 1994.
"Sources of EC horticultural import growth from developing countries,"
Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 125-141, April.
- Álvarez-Coque, José María García & Bautista, Romeo M., 1994. "Sources of EC horticultural import growth from developing countries," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 10(2), April.
- Ricardo C. Gazel & R. Keith Schwer, 1998. "Growth of International Exports among the States: Can a Modified Shift-Share Analysis Explain it?," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 21(2), pages 185-204, August.
- Fredoun Z. Ahmadi-Esfahani, 2006. "Constant market shares analysis: uses, limitations and prospects ," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(4), pages 510-526, December.
- Kuiper, Marijke H. & Dell'Aquila, Crescenzo, 2004. "Euro-Mediterranean Partnership; State Of Affairs And Key Policy And Research Issues," Report Series 29122, Agricultural Economics Research Institute.
- Ahmadi-Esfahani, Fredoun Z., 2006. "Constant market shares analysis: uses, limitations and prospects," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 50(4), December.
- Knudsen, Daniel C., 2000. "Shift-share analysis: further examination of models for the description of economic change," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 177-198, September.
- L. R. Rigaux, 1971. "Market Share Analysis Applied To Canadian Wheat Exports," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 19(1), pages 22-34, 07.
- JosÈ-MarÌa GarcÌa-Alvarez-Coque, 2002. "Agricultural trade and the Barcelona Process: is full liberalisation possible?," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(3), pages 399-422, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sua:ekonwp:3022. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alejandro Engelmann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.