Labour makets with turnover costs and fixed wage contracts: a general equilibrium model
This paper investigates the effects of linear turnover costs in employment in a competitive general equilibrium framework. with linear turnover costs, the Williamson (1975) hold-up issue can arise and firms may invest inefficiently. A renegotiable fixed wage contract can, as described by MacLeod and Malcomson (1993), establish efficient employment and investment decisions. A computable general equilibrium model with these features is constructed and analysed theoretically and quantitatively. As in the risk insurance literature, it is found that fixed wage contracts dampen the fluctuations in the average wage and ensure that the correlation between output and wages is less than perfect. Relative to the risk insurance approach to contracts, this offers an alternative extension and improvement of the standard competitive general equilibrium models.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 1997|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Highfield, Southampton SO17 1BJ|
Phone: (+44) 23 80592537
Fax: (+44) 23 80593858
Web page: http://www.economics.soton.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1997.
"Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 557-586, May.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1994. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments," NBER Technical Working Papers 0151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:stn:sotoec:9706. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Thorn)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.