The Urguay Round and trade in financial services in the Arab countries
This paper attempts to shed some light on the problems and prospects of trade liberalization in financial services for selected Arab countries. The paper starts by considering the background of GATT and the case for trade liberalization. It then highlights the case of the Uruguay Round with emphasis on trade in services in general and trade in banking services in particular. The paper proceeds by investigating the issue of regulation and protection of services and considering the different kinds of barriers to trade in financial services. The paper also discusses financial liberalisation and the issue of appropriate sequencing. Subsequently, the paper compares the GATs with regional agreements with respect to trade in services. Finally, the paper displays the distinctive characteristics of the structure and regulation of the banking systems in the Arab countries as it discusses the cases of Egypt, Lebanon, Jordan, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Tunisia and Morocco.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+44) 23 80592537
Fax: (+44) 23 80593858
Web page: http://www.economics.soton.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marcellino, Massimiliano, 1999. "Some Consequences of Temporal Aggregation in Empirical Analysis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(1), pages 129-36, January.
- Welfe, Aleksander, 1996. " The Price-Wage Inflationary Spiral in Poland," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 33-50.
- Roberto Golinelli & Renzo Orsi, 1994.
"Price-Wage Dynamics is A Transition Economy: The Case of Poland,"
192, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Golinelli, Roberto & Orsi, Renzo, 1994. " Price-Wage Dynamics in a Transition Economy: The Case of Poland," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 293-313.
- repec:sae:niesru:v:111:y::i:1:p:62-85 is not listed on IDEAS
- Doornik, Jurgen A & Hendry, David F & Nielsen, Bent, 1998.
" Inference in Cointegrating Models: UK M1 Revisited,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 533-72, December.
- Jurgen A. Doornik & David F. Hendry & Bent Nielsen, 1998. "Inference in Cointegrating Models: UK M1 Revisited," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 533-572, December.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1992.
"Testing for parameter instability in linear models,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 517-533, August.
- Tom Doan, . "STABTEST: RATS procedure to perform Hansen's stability test for OLS," Statistical Software Components RTS00199, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Golinelli, Roberto & Orsi, Renzo, 1998.
" Exchange Rate, Inflation and Unemployment in East European Economies: The Case of Poland and Hungary,"
Economic Change and Restructuring,
Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 29-55.
- Roberto Golinelli & Renzo Orsi, 1996. "Exchange rate Inflation and Unemployment in East European Economies: the Case of Poland and Hungary," Working Papers 265, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Roberto Golinelli & Renzo Orsi, . "Exchange Rate, Inflation and Unemployment in East European Economies: the Case of Poland and Hungary," Ace Project Memoranda 96/11, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Christopher Erickson & Andrea Ichino, 1995.
"Wage Differentials in Italy: Market Forces, Institutions, and Inflation,"
in: Differences and Changes in Wage Structures, pages 265-306
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher L. Erikson & Andrea Ichino, 1994. "Wage Differentials in Italy: Market Forces, Institutions, and Inflation," NBER Working Papers 4922, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Welfe, Aleksander, 1991. " Modelling Wages in Centrally Planned Economies: The Case of Poland," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 47-58.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Dolado, Juan J. & Galbraith, John W. & Hendry, David, 1993. "Co-integration, Error Correction, and the Econometric Analysis of Non-Stationary Data," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288107, March.
- Bontemps, Christophe & Mizon, Grayham E., 2001. "Congruence and encompassing," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 0107, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Clements, Michael P. & Mizon, Grayham E., 1991. "Empirical analysis of macroeconomic time series : VAR and structural models," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 887-917, May.
- Johansen, S., 1991.
"Determination of Cointegration Rank in the Presence of a Linear Trend,"
76a, Helsinki - Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren, 1992. "Determination of Cointegration Rank in the Presence of a Linear Trend," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 383-97, August.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Massimiliano Marcellino & Grayham E. Mizon, 2000. "Wages, Prices, Productivity, Inflation and Unemployment in Italy 1970-1994," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0911, Econometric Society.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:stn:sotoec:9617. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Thorn)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Chris Thorn to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.