Understanding the nonadditive probability decision model
The pioneering research of Schmeidler   and others identified behavioral axioms that underlie preferences consistent with the maximization of Choquet expected utility. However, these theories do not clarify the link between the epistemics of the decision maker's (DM) problem and his choice. This paper shows that if the DM is aware that his anticipation and perception of future contingencies is incomplete, then his subjective beliefs will be described by a nonadditive probability specification. Further, if the DM acts with a certain notion of caution given the incompleteness in his understanding of the environment, his preferences over acts may have a Choquet expected utility representation. The model developed here thus provides a justification of such beliefs and preferences based on "procedural rationality". The formalism also allows a simple characterization of how belief representation may change as the DM acquires a clearer picture of the contingency space underlying the uncertain environment.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+44) 23 80592537
Fax: (+44) 23 80593858
Web page: http://www.economics.soton.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher L. Erikson & Andrea Ichino, 1994.
"Wage Differentials in Italy: Market Forces, Institutions, and Inflation,"
NBER Working Papers
4922, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher Erickson & Andrea Ichino, 1995. "Wage Differentials in Italy: Market Forces, Institutions, and Inflation," NBER Chapters, in: Differences and Changes in Wage Structures, pages 265-306 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Massimiliano Marcellino & Grayham E. Mizon, 2000. "Wages, Prices, Productivity, Inflation and Unemployment in Italy 1970-1994," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0911, Econometric Society.
- Jurgen A. Doornik & David F. Hendry & Bent Nielsen, 1998.
"Inference in Cointegrating Models: UK M1 Revisited,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 533-572, December.
- Doornik, Jurgen A & Hendry, David F & Nielsen, Bent, 1998. " Inference in Cointegrating Models: UK M1 Revisited," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 533-72, December.
- Welfe, Aleksander, 1996. " The Price-Wage Inflationary Spiral in Poland," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 33-50.
- Golinelli, Roberto & Orsi, Renzo, 1994.
" Price-Wage Dynamics in a Transition Economy: The Case of Poland,"
Economic Change and Restructuring,
Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 293-313.
- Roberto Golinelli & Renzo Orsi, 1994. "Price-Wage Dynamics is A Transition Economy: The Case of Poland," Working Papers 192, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Welfe, Aleksander, 1991. " Modelling Wages in Centrally Planned Economies: The Case of Poland," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 47-58.
- Marcellino, Massimiliano, 1999. "Some Consequences of Temporal Aggregation in Empirical Analysis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(1), pages 129-36, January.
- Johansen, Soren, 1992.
"Determination of Cointegration Rank in the Presence of a Linear Trend,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 383-97, August.
- Johansen, S., 1991. "Determination of Cointegration Rank in the Presence of a Linear Trend," Papers 76a, Helsinki - Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Golinelli, Roberto & Orsi, Renzo, 1998.
" Exchange Rate, Inflation and Unemployment in East European Economies: The Case of Poland and Hungary,"
Economic Change and Restructuring,
Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 29-55.
- Roberto Golinelli & Renzo Orsi, . "Exchange Rate, Inflation and Unemployment in East European Economies: the Case of Poland and Hungary," Ace Project Memoranda 96/11, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- Roberto Golinelli & Renzo Orsi, 1996. "Exchange rate Inflation and Unemployment in East European Economies: the Case of Poland and Hungary," Working Papers 265, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Banerjee, Anindya & Dolado, Juan J. & Galbraith, John W. & Hendry, David, 1993. "Co-integration, Error Correction, and the Econometric Analysis of Non-Stationary Data," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288107.
- repec:sae:niesru:v:111:y::i:1:p:62-85 is not listed on IDEAS
- Clements, Michael P. & Mizon, Grayham E., 1991. "Empirical analysis of macroeconomic time series : VAR and structural models," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 887-917, May.
- Bontemps, Christophe & Mizon, Grayham E., 2001. "Congruence and encompassing," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 0107, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1992.
"Testing for parameter instability in linear models,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 517-533, August.
- Tom Doan, . "STABTEST: RATS procedure to perform Hansen's stability test for OLS," Statistical Software Components RTS00199, Boston College Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:stn:sotoec:9517. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Thorn)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.