Trade and the value of information under unawareness
The value of information and the possibility of speculation are examined in an environment with unawareness. Although agents have â€œcorrectâ€ prior beliefs about events they are aware of and have a clear understanding of their available actions and payoffs, their unawareness may lead them to commit information processing errors and to behave suboptimally. As a result, more information is not always valuable and agents can speculate with each other. We identify two specific information processing errors that are responsible for both problems. Moreover, we construct a dynamic model where agents announce their posteriors and update their awareness as soon as they hear a counterfactual announcement. We study how awareness is updated and whether agreement about posteriors is reached.
|Date of creation:||20 Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Highfield, Southampton SO17 1BJ|
Phone: (+44) 23 80592537
Fax: (+44) 23 80593858
Web page: http://www.economics.soton.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Geanakoplos & Heracles M. Polemarchakis, 1982.
"We Can't Disagree Forever,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
639, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Dov Samet, 1997.
"Common Priors and Separation of Convex Sets,"
Game Theory and Information
- Halpern, Joseph Y., 2001.
"Alternative Semantics for Unawareness,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 321-339, November.
- Ng, Man-Chung, 2003. "On the duality between prior beliefs and trading demands," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 39-51, March.
- Feinberg, Yossi, 2004. "Subjective Reasoning--Games with Unawareness," Research Papers 1875, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Spyros Galanis, 2013.
"Unawareness of theorems,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 52(1), pages 41-73, January.
- Galanis, Spyros, 2007. "Unawareness of theorems," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 51816, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Giacomo Bonanno & Klaus Nehring, .
"Fundamental Agreement: A New Foundation For The Harsanyi Doctrine,"
Department of Economics
96-02, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Klaus Nehring & Giacomo Bonanno & Massimiliano Marcellino, 2003. "Fundamental Agreement: A new foundation for the Harsanyi Doctrine," Working Papers 962, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- repec:pit:wpaper:245 is not listed on IDEAS
- Modica, Salvatore & Rustichini, Aldo, 1999. "Unawareness and Partitional Information Structures," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 265-298, May.
- Morris, Stephen, 1994. "Trade with Heterogeneous Prior Beliefs and Asymmetric Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1327-47, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:stn:sotoec:1313. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Thorn)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Chris Thorn to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.