Generating functions and short recursions, with applications to the moments of quadratic forms in noncentral normal vectors
Using generating functions, the top-order zonal polynomials that occur in much distribution theory under normality can be recursively related to other symmetric functions (power-sum and elementary symmetric functions, Ruben (1962), Hillier, Kan, and Wang (2009)). Typically, in a recursion of this type the k-th object of interest, dk say, is expressed in terms of all lower-order dj â€™s. In Hillier, Kan, and Wang (2009) we pointed out that, in the case of top-order zonal polynomials (and generalizations of them), a shorter (i.e., fixed length) recursion can be deduced. The present paper shows that the argument in Hillier, Kan, and Wang (2009) generalizes to a large class of objects/generating functions. The results thus obtained are then applied to various problems involving quadratic forms in noncentral normal vectors Keywords; generating functions, invariant polynomials, non-central normal distribution, recursions, symmetric functions, zonal polynomials
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Highfield, Southampton SO17 1BJ|
Phone: (+44) 23 80592537
Fax: (+44) 23 80593858
Web page: http://www.economics.soton.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grant Hillier & Raymond Kan & Xiaolu Wang, 2008.
"Computationally efficient recursions for top-order invariant polynomials with applications,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP07/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Hillier, Grant & Kan, Raymond & Wang, Xiaolu, 2009. "Computationally Efficient Recursions For Top-Order Invariant Polynomials With Applications," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(01), pages 211-242, February.
- Ghazal, G. A., 1994. "Moments of the ratio of two dependent quadratic forms," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 313-319, July.
- Magnus, J.R., 1986. "The exact moments of a ratio of quadratic forms in normal variables," Other publications TiSEM c6725407-ac3c-44fd-b6d1-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Kan, Raymond, 2008. "From moments of sum to moments of product," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 99(3), pages 542-554, March.
- Chikuse, Yasuko, 1987. "Methods for Constructing Top Order Invariant Polynomials," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(02), pages 195-207, April.
- Bock, M.E. & Judge, G.G. & Yancey, T.A., 1984. "A simple form for the inverse moments of non-central [chi]2 andF random variables and certain confluent hypergeometric functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1-2), pages 217-234.
- Sawa, Takamitsu, 1972. "Finite-Sample Properties of the k-Class Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(4), pages 653-80, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:stn:sotoec:0918. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Thorn)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Chris Thorn to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.