A retrospective on J.D. Sargan and his contribution to Econometrics
This retrospective provides a biographical history of Denis Sargan's career and reviews his contributions to econometrics, emphasizing the breadth of his work in both theoretical and applied econometrics. We include a complete bibliography for Denis and a list of PhD theses that he supervised - students were a substantive facet of his profesional life. Finally, two of Denis' previously unpublished manuscripts on model building now appear in print. Keywords; dynamic specification, econometrics, error correction model, finite sample distributions, identification, instrumental variables, model building, numerical computation, prices, production function, specification searches, wages
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+44) 23 80592537
Fax: (+44) 23 80593858
Web page: http://www.economics.soton.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1983.
"Exact small sample theory in the simultaneous equations model,"
Handbook of Econometrics,
in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 8, pages 449-516
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1982. "Exact Small Sample Theory in the Simultaneous Equations Model," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 621, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar, 1978. "A Modified Stein-like Estimator for the Reduced Form Coefficients of Simultaneous Equations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(3), pages 695-703, May.
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar, 1986. "Reduced form estimation and prediction from uncertain structural models : A generic approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 3-29, February.
- Maasoumi, Esfandiar, 1980. "A ridge-like method for simultaneous estimation of simultaneous equations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 161-176, February.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1975. "An Instrumental Variable Approach to Full Information Estimators for Linear and Certain Nonlinear Econometric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(4), pages 727-38, July.
- Neil R. Ericsson & David F. Hendry & Grayham E. Mizon, 1998.
"Exogeneity, cointegration, and economic policy analysis,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
616, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ericsson, Neil R & Hendry, David F & Mizon, Grayham E, 1998. "Exogeneity, Cointegration, and Economic Policy Analysis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(4), pages 370-87, October.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Tauchen, George, 1996.
"Which Moments to Match?,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 657-681, October.
- Phillips, Peter C.B., 1985. "Professor J. D. Sargan," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 119-139, April.
- Hendry, David F., 1984. "Monte carlo experimentation in econometrics," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 937-976 Elsevier.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501, March.
- Rothenberg, Thomas J, 1971. "Identification in Parametric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(3), pages 577-91, May.
- Mizon, Grayham E, 1977. "Inferential Procedures in Nonlinear Models: An Application in a UK Industrial Cross Section Study of Factor Substitution and Returns to Scale," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(5), pages 1221-42, July.
- Newey, W.K., 1989.
"Efficient Instrumental Variables Estimation Of Nonlinear Models,"
341, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Newey, Whitney K, 1990. "Efficient Instrumental Variables Estimation of Nonlinear Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 809-37, July.
- Desai, Meghnad J & Hendry, David F & Mizon, Grayham E, 1997. "John Denis Sargan," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(443), pages 1121-25, July.
- Hendry, David F. & Harrison, Robin W., 1974. "Monte Carlo methodology and the small sample behaviour of ordinary and two-stage least squares," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 151-174, July.
- Hendry, David F., 1976. "The structure of simultaneous equations estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 51-88, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:stn:sotoec:0108. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Thorn)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Chris Thorn to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.