Is an Environmental Management System able to influence environmental and competitive performance? The case of the Eco-Management and Audit Scheme (EMAS) in the European Union
The EMAS Regulation (Reg 761/01 EC) is an EU scheme for the implementation of an Environmental Management System (EMS) by any organization, implemented by the European Commission since the year 1993. The EMS has been originally proposed both by the European Commission and by ISO as the frontrunner of a series of policy tools that were conceived to enable companies to simultaneously pursue environmental objectives and competitive targets (in a synergetic way). Based on the unique dataset of the EVER project, this paper investigates whether or not an EMS implemented within the EMAS Regulation has an effect on firm performance both from an environmental and a competitive point of view. The econometric analysis shows a positive impact of well-designed environmental management system on environmental performance and, as a consequence, on technical and organizational innovations. Effects on other competitive variable as market performance, resource productivity and intangible asset are not strongly supported
|Date of creation:||12 Dec 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza Martiri della Libertà,33, 56127 Pisa|
Phone: +39 050 883 891
Fax: +39 050 883 936
Web page: http://www.idm.sssup.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barla, Philippe, 2007.
"ISO 14001 certification and environmental performance in Quebec's pulp and paper industry,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 291-306, May.
- Barla, Philippe, 2005. "ISO 14001 Certification and Environmental Performance in Quebec's Pulp and Paper Industry," Cahiers de recherche 0503, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Barla, Philippe, 2005. "ISO 14001 Certification and Environmental Performance in Quebec's Pulp and Paper Industry," Cahiers de recherche 0503, GREEN.
- Jay B. Barney, 1986. "Strategic Factor Markets: Expectations, Luck, and Business Strategy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(10), pages 1231-1241, October.
- Josh Ederington & Jenny Minier, 2003.
"Is environmental policy a secondary trade barrier? An empirical analysis,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(1), pages 137-154, February.
- Josh Ederington & Jenny Minier, 2000. "Is Environmental Policy a Secondary Trade Barrier? An Empirical Analysis," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1507, Econometric Society.
- Robert D. Klassen & Curtis P. McLaughlin, 1996. "The Impact of Environmental Management on Firm Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(8), pages 1199-1214, August.
- Paul Lanoie & Jérémy Laurent‐Lucchetti & Nick Johnstone & Stefan Ambec, 2011.
"Environmental Policy, Innovation and Performance: New Insights on the Porter Hypothesis,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(3), pages 803-842, 09.
- Lanoie, P. & Laurent-Lucchetti, L. & Johnstone, N. & Ambec, S., 2007. "Environmental policy, innovation and performance : new insights on the Porter hypothesis," Working Papers 200706, Grenoble Applied Economics Laboratory (GAEL).
- Paul Lanoie & Jérémy Laurent-Lucchetti & Nick Johnstone & Stefan Ambec, 2007. "Environmental Policy, Innovation and Performance : New Insights on the Porter Hypothesis," Cahiers de recherche 07-06, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Paul Lanoie & Nick Johnstone & Stefan Ambec & Jérémy Laurent-Lucchetti, 2007. "Environmental Policy, Innovation and Performance: New Insights on the Porter Hypothesis," CIRANO Working Papers 2007s-19, CIRANO.
- Handfield, Robert & Walton, Steven V. & Sroufe, Robert & Melnyk, Steven A., 2002. "Applying environmental criteria to supplier assessment: A study in the application of the Analytical Hierarchy Process," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 70-87, August.
- Rennings, Klaus & Ziegler, Andreas & Ankele, Kathrin & Hoffmann, Esther, 2006. "The influence of different characteristics of the EU environmental management and auditing scheme on technical environmental innovations and economic performance," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1), pages 45-59, April.
- Gollop, Frank M & Roberts, Mark J, 1983. "Environmental Regulations and Productivity Growth: The Case of Fossil-Fueled Electric Power Generation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(4), pages 654-674, August.
- Wayne B. Gray & Ronald J. Shadbegian, 2001.
"Plant Vintage, Technology, and Environmental Regulation,"
NCEE Working Paper Series
200104, National Center for Environmental Economics, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, revised Nov 2001.
- Gray, Wayne B. & Shadbegian, Ronald J., 2003. "Plant vintage, technology, and environmental regulation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 384-402, November.
- Wayne B. Gray & Ronald J. Shadbegian, 2001. "Plant Vintage, Technology, and Environmental Regulation," NBER Working Papers 8480, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wayne B Gray & Ronald J Shadbegian, 2001. "Plant Vintage, Technology, and Environmental Regulation," Working Papers 01-08, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Madhu Khanna & William Rose Q. Anton, 2002. "Corporate Environmental Management: Regulatory and Market-Based Incentives," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 78(4), pages 539-558.
- Matthew A. Cole & Robert J. R. Elliott, 2003. "Do Environmental Regulations Influence Trade Patterns? Testing Old and New Trade Theories," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(8), pages 1163-1186, 08.
- Gabel H. Landis & Sinclair-Desgagne Bernard, 1993. "Managerial Incentives and Environmental Compliance," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 229-240, May.
- M A Cole & R J R Elliott, 2003. "Do Environmental Regulations Influence Trade Patterns? Testing New and Old Trade Theories," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0310, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Karen Palmer, 1996.
"Environmental Regulation and Innovation: A Panel Data Study,"
NBER Working Papers
5545, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adam B. Jaffe & Karen Palmer, 1997. "Environmental Regulation And Innovation: A Panel Data Study," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 610-619, November.
- Dasgupta, Susmita & Hettige, Hemamala & Wheeler, David, 1998. "What improves environmental performance? evidence from Mexican industry," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1877, The World Bank.
- Al-Tuwaijri, Sulaiman A. & Christensen, Theodore E. & Hughes, K. II, 2004. "The relations among environmental disclosure, environmental performance, and economic performance: a simultaneous equations approach," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 29(5-6), pages 447-471.
- Wayne B Gray & Ronald J Shadbegian, 1997.
"Environmental Regulation, Investment Timing, and Technology Choice,"
97-9, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Gray, Wayne B & Shadbegian, Ronald J, 1998. "Environmental Regulation, Investment Timing, and Technology Choice," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(2), pages 235-256, June.
- Wayne B. Gray & Ronald J. Shadbegian, 1997. "Environmental Regulation, Investment Timing, and Technology Choice," NBER Working Papers 6036, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sse:wpaper:200804. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gaetano Esposito)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.