Quality of Secondary Education in Russia: Between Soviet Legacy and Challenges of Global Competitiveness
In this paper we examine determinants of the quality of secondary education for making informed policy decisions at the levels of student / family, school, country's education system institutions and macroeconomic indicators. The quality of education is estimated by the outcomes of the latest round of PISA from 2009 on mathematics and science skills of 15-year old students from 67 countries. After regression analysis for the pool of countries, we estimate the same determinants for Russia in order to reveal in what way the Russian secondary education system is different from other countries, with a special attention paid to possible explanation of a surprisingly different performance of Russian students on TIMSS and PISA tests. We conclude with the discussion of the limitations of analysis based on international tests and possible policy issues related to the factors of quality of secondary education in Russia.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3, Volkhovsky per., Saint Petersburg, 199004|
Phone: Phone: (+7-812) 323 8456
Fax: (+7-812) 329 3234
Web page: http://dspace.gsom.pu.ru/jspui/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dennis D. Kimko & Eric A. Hanushek, 2000.
"Schooling, Labor-Force Quality, and the Growth of Nations,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1184-1208, December.
- Jerik Hanushek & Dennis Kimko, 2006. "Schooling, Labor-force Quality, and the Growth of Nations," Educational Studies, Higher School of Economics, issue 1, pages 154-193.
- Wößmann, Ludger, 2011.
"Cross-country evidence on teacher performance pay,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19679, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Torberg Falch & Justina A.V. Fischer, 2010.
"Public Sector Decentralization and School Performance: International Evidence,"
031, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
- Falch, Torberg & Fischer, Justina A.V., 2012. "Public sector decentralization and school performance: International evidence," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 114(3), pages 276-279.
- Torberg Falch & Justina AV Fischer, 2008. "Public sector decentralization and school performance: International evidence," Working Paper Series 9508, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- Torberg Falch & Justina AV Fischer, 2008. "Public sector decentralization and school performance. International evidence," TWI Research Paper Series 39, Thurgauer Wirtschaftsinstitut, Universitï¿½t Konstanz.
- Falch, Torberg & Fischer, Justina AV, 2010. "Public sector decentralization and school performance: International evidence," MPRA Paper 20331, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andreas Ammermueller, 2007.
"PISA: What makes the difference?,"
Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 263-287, September.
- Andreas Ammermüller, 2004. "PISA : what makes the difference?," Working Papers of the Research Group Heterogenous Labor 04-07, Research Group Heterogeneous Labor, University of Konstanz/ZEW Mannheim.
- Ray Adams & Alla Berezner & Maciej Jakubowski, 2010. "Analysis of PISA 2006 Preferred Items Ranking Using the Percent-Correct Method," OECD Education Working Papers 46, OECD Publishing.
- Thomas Fuchs & Ludger Wößmann, 2007.
"What accounts for international differences in student performance? A re-examination using PISA data,"
Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 433-464, May.
- Fuchs, Thomas & Woessmann, Ludger, 2004. "What Accounts for International Differences in Student Performance? A Re-Examination Using PISA Data," IZA Discussion Papers 1287, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Thomas Fuchs & Ludger Woessmann, 2004. "What Accounts for International Differences in Student Performance? A Re-examination using PISA Data," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 274, Econometric Society.
- Fuchs, Thomas & Wößmann, Ludger, 2007. "What accounts for international differences in student performance? A re-examination using PISA data," Munich Reprints in Economics 20303, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Dronkers, J & Avram, S, 2008. "Choice and Effectiveness of Private and Public Schools in six countries. A reanalysis of three PISA data sets," MPRA Paper 21578, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2009.
- Alina Botezat & Ruben R. Seiberlich, 2011. "How Far is the East? Educational Performance in Eastern Europe," Working Paper Series of the Department of Economics, University of Konstanz 2011-15, Department of Economics, University of Konstanz.
- Paul W. Glewwe & Eric A. Hanushek & Sarah D. Humpage & Renato Ravina, 2011.
"School Resources and Educational Outcomes in Developing Countries: A Review of the Literature from 1990 to 2010,"
NBER Working Papers
17554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glewwe, Paul & Hanushek, Eric & Humpage, Sarah & Ravina, Renato, 2012. "School Resources and Educational Outcomes in Developing Countries: A Review of the Literature from 1990 to 2010," Working Papers 120033, University of Minnesota, Center for International Food and Agricultural Policy.
- Michela Ponzo, 2011.
"The effects of school competition on the achievement of Italian students,"
Managerial and Decision Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 32(1), pages 53-61, January.
- Michela Ponzo, 2009. "The Effects Of School Competition On The Achievement Of Italian Students," Working Papers 200920, Università della Calabria, Dipartimento di Economia, Statistica e Finanza (Ex Dipartimento di Economia e Statistica).
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Introduction to "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings"," NBER Chapters, in: Schooling, Experience, and Earnings, pages 1-4 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mincer, Jacob, 1970. "The Distribution of Labor Incomes: A Survey with Special Reference to the Human Capital Approach," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 8(1), pages 1-26, March.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number minc74-1, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sps:wpaper:538. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lena Manaeva)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.