Optimal Project Selection Mechanisms
We study mechanisms for selecting up to m out of n projects. Project managers’ private information on quality is elicited through transfers. Under limited liability, the optimal mechanism selects projects that maximize some function of the project’s observable and reported characteristics. When all reported qualities exceed their own project-specific thresholds, the selected set only depends on observable characteristics, not reported qualities. Each threshold is related to (i) the outside option level at which the cost and benefit of eliciting information on the project cancel out and (ii) the optimal value of selecting one among infinitely many ex ante identical projects.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econ.sciences-po.fr/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Che, Yeon-Koo & Gale, Ian, 2000. "The Optimal Mechanism for Selling to a Budget-Constrained Buyer," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 198-233, June.
- Scott Stern, 2004. "Do Scientists Pay to Be Scientists?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(6), pages 835-853, June.
- Richard A. Lambert, 1986. "Executive Effort and Selection of Risky Projects," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(1), pages 77-88, Spring.
- Mookherjee, Dilip & Reichelstein, Stefan, 1992. "Dominant strategy implementation of Bayesian incentive compatible allocation rules," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 378-399, April.
- Moore, John, 1985. "Optimal Labour Contracts When Workers Have a Variety of Privately Observed Reservation Wages," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(1), pages 37-67, January.
- Shin, Dongsoo, 2008. "Information acquisition and optimal project management," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 1032-1043, July.
- Manelli, Alejandro M & Vincent, Daniel R, 1995.
"Optimal Procurement Mechanisms,"
Econometric Society, vol. 63(3), pages 591-620, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spo:wpecon:info:hdl:2441/7o52iohb7k6srk09n8t49coi7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sciences Po Departement of Economics Series Handler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.