The private and social monetary costs and the energy consumption of a car. An estimate for seven cars with different vehicle technologies on sale in Italy
This paper estimates the total private and social cost of seven cars (the gasoline VW Polo, the diesel Ford Fiesta, the CNG Fiat Punto Evo Natural Power, the LPG Alfa Romeo MiTo, the Hybrid Toyota Yaris, the BEV with leased-battery Renault Zoe and the BEV Peugeot iOn.), making use of the Italian data with reference to the vehicles’ purchase and maintenance costs, fuel and electricity costs, energy mix, pollution and noise costs. Among the selected cars, the diesel Ford Fiesta currently performs best from the private and social cost as well as energy consumption point of view. From the social point of view, both the Toyota Yaris (Hybrid) and the Alfa R. MiTo (bi-fuel LPG) perform as well as the BEVs, and the absolute difference with the conventional fuel cars is quite small. A scenario analysis is also performed to evaluate how the cars’ ranking is affected by how many years a car is kept, by how many kilometers per year a car is driven, by the subsidies enacted by the Italian government, by an increase in the price of fuel and by a decrease in the price of the batteries.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Viale Kennedy, n. 4, 43100 Parma, Italy|
Phone: ++39 0657335294
Fax: ++39 0657335282
Web page: http://www.sietitalia.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mari Svensson, Ann & Møller-Holst, Steffen & Glöckner, Ronny & Maurstad, Ola, 2007. "Well-to-wheel study of passenger vehicles in the Norwegian energy system," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 437-445.
- Delucchi, Mark & Lipman, Timothy, 2001. "An Analysis of the Retail and Lifecycle Cost of Battery-Powered Electric Vehicles," Institute of Transportation Studies, Working Paper Series qt50q9060k, Institute of Transportation Studies, UC Davis.
- Shen, Wei & Han, Weijian & Chock, David & Chai, Qinhu & Zhang, Aling, 2012. "Well-to-wheels life-cycle analysis of alternative fuels and vehicle technologies in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 296-307.
- Ma, Hongrui & Balthasar, Felix & Tait, Nigel & Riera-Palou, Xavier & Harrison, Andrew, 2012. "A new comparison between the life cycle greenhouse gas emissions of battery electric vehicles and internal combustion vehicles," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 160-173.
- Thiel, Christian & Perujo, Adolfo & Mercier, Arnaud, 2010. "Cost and CO2 aspects of future vehicle options in Europe under new energy policy scenarios," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(11), pages 7142-7151, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sit:wpaper:13_01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Edoardo Marcucci)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.