An input-output based methodology to estimate the economic role of a port: the case of the port system of the Friuli Venezia Giulia Region, Italy
The paper illustrates the results of a research project aimed at identifying the main economic and industrial characteristics of the port system of the Friuli Venezia Giulia Region, Italy, and the role it plays within the economy. Combing a top-down and bottom-up approach, based on interviews and detailed data at firm level, a bi-regional input-output table is built with a special disaggregation of the 12 port-related sectors of the Friuli Venezia Giulia region. The input-output table provides the basis for the estimation of a bi-regional input-output model. Drawing from the input-output literature, the paper also implements two methodologies to estimate: a) the level of self-sufficiency of the port system and b) its degree of substitutability, that is, what would happen if the Friuli Venezia Giulia port system closes down, completely or partially.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++39 0657335294
Fax: ++39 0657335282
Web page: http://www.sietitalia.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elvira Haezendonck & Chris Coeck & Alain Verbeke, 2000. "The Competitive Position of Seaports: Introduction of the Value Added Concept," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 2(2), pages 107-118, June.
- F. Coppens & F. Lagneaux & G. van Gastel & H. Meersman & N. Sellekaerts & E. Van de Voorde & Th. Vanelslander & A. Verhetsel, 2007. "Economic impact of port activity : a disaggregate analysis. The case of Antwerp," Working Paper Document 110, National Bank of Belgium.
- Eduardo A. Haddad & Geoffrey J. D. Hewings & Fernando S. Perobelli & Raul A. C. dos Santos, 2010. "Regional Effects of Port Infrastructure: A Spatial CGE Application to Brazil," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 33(3), pages 239-263, July.
- W R Hughes, 1997. "A comparison of economic impacts with the use of economic base and input - output methodologies," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 29(4), pages 673-684, April.
- José Ignacio Castillo & Lourdes López- Valpuesta & Maria José Aracil, 2004. "Dynamising Economic Impact Studies: The Case of the Port of Seville," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2004/87, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Rietveld, Piet, 1994. "Spatial economic impacts of transport infrastructure supply," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 329-341, July.
- Jones, Leroy P, 1976. "The Measurement of Hirschmanian Linkages," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 90(2), pages 323-33, May.
- Cella, Guido, 1984. "The Input-Output Measurement of Interindustry Linkages," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 46(1), pages 73-84, February.
- Francois Coppens, 2005. "Indirect effects - a formal definition and degrees of dependency as an alternative to technical coefficients," Working Paper Research 67, National Bank of Belgium.
- Bichou, K. & Gray, R., 2005. "A critical review of conventional terminology for classifying seaports," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 75-92, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sit:wpaper:12_02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Edoardo Marcucci)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.