How Are Fixed-term Contracts Used by Firms? An Analysis Using Gross Job and Worker Flows
Using Spanish establishment level data on temporary and permanent job and worker flows, we examine firms’ relative usage of fixed-term contracts in response to changes in their prior net employment expectations for the short-run and the long-run –viewed as proxies of how a wide variety of future shocks are ultimately perceived by establishments. The employment response of establishments to changing net employment expectations for the short-run is, primarily, suggestive of their reliance on fixed-term contracts as a buffer to cushion short-run changes in demand as well as to shield permanent workers from downward workforce adjustments. In contrast, their response to changes in net employment expectations for the long-run mostly hints on the use of fixed-term contracts as a screening device. Therefore, policies providing financial incentives to convert fixed-term into permanent contracts –thus targeting firms’ using fixed-term contracts as a screening device, are likely to only have limited effectiveness.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (619) 594-1675
Fax: (619) 594-5062
Web page: http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/dept/econ/e1.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goux, Dominique & Maurin, Eric & Pauchet, Marianne, 2001.
"Fixed-term contracts and the dynamics of labour demand,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 533-552, March.
- Dominique Goux & Eric Maurin & Marianne Pauchet, 1999. "Fixed-term Contracts and the Dynamics of Labour Demand," Working Papers 99-02, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Juan J Dolado & Carlos Garcia--Serrano & Juan F. Jimeno, 2002.
"Drawing Lessons From The Boom Of Temporary Jobs In Spain,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(721), pages F270-F295, June.
- Juan José Dolado & Carlos García-Serrano & Juan F. Jimeno, . "Drawing Lessons from the Boom of Temporary Jobs in Spain," Working Papers 2001-11, FEDEA.
- Dolado, Juan J. & Garcia-Serrano, Carlos & Jimeno, Juan F, 2001. "Drawing Lessons From the Boom of Temporary Jobs in Spain," CEPR Discussion Papers 2884, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991.
"Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction and Employment Reallocation,"
NBER Working Papers
3728, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davis, Steven J & Haltiwanger, John C, 1992. "Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction, and Employment Reallocation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(3), pages 819-63, August.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991. "Gross job creation, gross job destruction and employment reallocation," Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues 91-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Houseman, Susan N & Abraham, Katharine G, 1993.
"Female Workers as a Buffer in the Japanese Economy,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 83(2), pages 45-51, May.
- Susan N. Houseman & Katharine G. Abraham, . "Female Workers as a Buffer in the Japanese Economy," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles snhkga1993, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2002-29 is not listed on IDEAS
- Serrano, Carlos Garcia, 1998.
"Worker Turnover and Job Reallocation: The Role of Fixed-Term Contracts,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 50(4), pages 709-25, October.
- Garcia Serrano, Carlos, 1999. "Worker Turnover and Job Reallocation: The Role of Fixed-Term Contracts," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(1), pages 237a, January.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1998. "Job Creation and Destruction," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262540932, June.
- José Varejão & Pedro Portugal, 2003.
"Why do Firms Use Fixed-Term Contracts?,"
w200308, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Portugal, Pedro & Varejão, José, 2009. "Why Do Firms Use Fixed-Term Contracts?," IZA Discussion Papers 4380, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- José Varejão & Pedro Portugal, 2003. "Why Do Firms Use Fixed-Term Contracts?," CEF.UP Working Papers 0310, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Booth, Alison L. & Francesconi, Marco & Frank, Jeff, 2002.
"Labour as a Buffer: Do Temporary Workers Suffer?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
673, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pedro Portugal & Olivier Blanchard, 2001. "What Hides Behind an Unemployment Rate: Comparing Portuguese and U.S. Labor Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(1), pages 187-207, March.
- Carlos Garcia-Serrano & Miguel A. Malo, 2002. "Worker Turnover, Job Turnover and Collective Bargaining in Spain," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 40(1), pages 69-85, 03.
- Steven J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1990. "Gross Job Creation and Destruction: Microeconomic Evidence and Macroeconomic Implications," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1990, Volume 5, pages 123-186 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sds:wpaper:0026. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ginger Shoulders)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.