Time-Varying Currency Betas: Evidence from Developed and Emerging Markets
This paper examines the conditional time-varying currency betas from five developed markets and four emerging markets. A trivariate BEKK-GARCH-in-mean model is used to estimate the timevarying conditional variance and covariance of returns of stock index, the world market portfolio and changes in bilateral exchange rate between the US dollar and the local currency of each country. It is found that currency betas are more volatile than those of the world market betas. Currency betas in emerging markets are more volatile than those in developed markets. Moreover, we find evidence of long-memory in currency betas. The usefulness of time-varying currency betas are illustrated by two applications.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/ecs/scape/index.html|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Entorf & Jamin, 2005.
"German Exchange Rate Exposure at DAX and Aggregate Level, International Trade, and the Role of Exchange Rate Adjustment Costs,"
- Horst Entorf & Gösta Jamin, 2007. "German Exchange Rate Exposure at DAX and Aggregate Levels, International Trade and the Role of Exchange Rate Adjustment Costs," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 8, pages 344-374, 08.
- Entorf, Horst & Jamin, Gösta, 2003. "German Exchange Rate Exposure at DAX and Aggregate Level, International Trade, and the Role of Exchange Rate Adjustment Costs," Darmstadt Discussion Papers in Economics 126, Darmstadt University of Technology, Department of Law and Economics.
- Jamin, Gösta & Entorf, Horst, 2004. "German Exchange Rate Exposure at DAX and Aggregate Level, International Trade, and the Role of Exchange Rate Adjustment Costs," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-03, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- R. D. Brooks & R. W. Faff & M. McKenzie, 2002. "Time varying country risk: an assessment of alternative modelling techniques," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 249-274.
- Bodnar, Gordon M. & Gentry, William M., 1993. "Exchange rate exposure and industry characteristics: evidence from Canada, Japan, and the USA," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 29-45, February.
- Brooks, Robert D. & Faff, Robert W. & McKenzie, Michael D. & Ho, Yew Kee, 2000. "U.S. Banking Sector Risk in an Era of Regulatory Change: A Bivariate GARCH Approach," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 17-43, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sca:scaewp:0903. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.