A Simple Test for the Absence of Covariate Dependence in Hazard Regression Models
This paper extends commonly used tests for equality of hazard rates in a two-sample or k-sample setup to a situation where the covariate under study is continuous. In other words, we test the hypothesis that the conditional hazard rate is the same for all covariate values, against the omnibus alternative as well as more specific alternatives, when the covariate is continuous. The tests developed are particularly useful for detecting trend in the underlying conditional hazard rates or changepoint trend alternatives. Asymptotic distribution of the test statistics are established and small sample properties of the tests are studied. An application to the e¤ect of aggregate Q on corporate failure in the UK shows evidence of trend in the covariate e¤ect, whereas a Cox regression model failed to detect evidence of any covariate effect. Finally, we discuss an important extension to testing for proportionality of hazards in the presence of individual level frailty with arbitrary distribution.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||15 Sep 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, Fife KY16 9AL|
Phone: 01334 462420
Fax: 01334 462444
Web page: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tue Gorgens & Joel L. Horowitz, 1996.
"Semiparametric Estimation of a Censored Regression Model with an Unknown Transformation of the Dependent Variable,"
- Gorgens, Tue & Horowitz, Joel L., 1999. "Semiparametric estimation of a censored regression model with an unknown transformation of the dependent variable," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 155-191, June.
- Horowitz, J. & Gorgens, T., 1995. "Semiparametric Estimation of a Censored Regression Model with an Unknown Transformation of the Dependent Variable," Working Papers 95-15, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Joel L. Horowitz, 1999. "Semiparametric Estimation of a Proportional Hazard Model with Unobserved Heterogeneity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1001-1028, September.
- Melino, Angelo & Sueyoshi, Glenn T., 1990. "A simple approach to the identifiability of the proportional hazards model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 63-68, May.
- Bhattacharjee, Arnab, 2004.
"Estimation in hazard regression models under ordered departures from proportionality,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 517-536, October.
- Bhattacharjee, A., 2003. "Estimation in Hazard Regression Models under Ordered Departures from Proportionality," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0337, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Horowitz, Joel L, 1996. "Semiparametric Estimation of a Regression Model with an Unknown Transformation of the Dependent Variable," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(1), pages 103-37, January.
- Liu, P. Y. & Wei Yann Tsai, 1999. "A modified logrank test for censored survival data under order restrictions," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 57-63, January.
- Bhattacharjee, A. & Samarjit Das, 2002. "Testing Proportionality in Duration Models with Respect to Continuous Covariates," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0220, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- A. Bhattacharjee & Higson, C. & Holly, S. & Kattuman, P., 2002.
"Macro Economic Instability and Business Exit: Determinants of Failures and Acquisitions of Large UK Firms,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0206, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Bhattacharje,e A. & C.Higson & S.Holly & P.Kattuman, 2002. "Macro Economic Instability and Business Exit: Determinants of Failures and Acquisitions of Large UK Firms," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 27, Royal Economic Society.
- Lin D Y & Ying Z, 2001. "Semiparametric and Nonparametric Regression Analysis of Longitudinal Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 103-126, March.
- Murphy, S. A. & Sen, P. K., 1991. "Time-dependent coefficients in a Cox-type regression model," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 153-180, October.
- Li, Yi-Hwei & Klein, John P. & Moeschberger, M. L., 1996. "Effects of model misspecification in estimating covariate effects in survival analysis for small sample sizes," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 177-192, July.
- D. Y. Lin & L. J. Wei & I. Yang & Z. Ying, 2000. "Semiparametric regression for the mean and rate functions of recurrent events," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 62(4), pages 711-730.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:san:wpecon:0708. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (the School of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.