Accounting for Risk: developing a new research agenda for risk appraisal in high-technology ventures
This work concerns the development of new methods of accounting for risk in high-technology ventures. The paper enquires into attitudes to risk and skills at risk management, in the relationship between high-technology firms and their venture capital backers. The basic prescription behind the proposed approach, building on work by the authors and co-workers [Reid (1996,1999), Reid, Terry and Smith (1997)], and other recent developments [e.g. Fiet (1995a,b)], is that as the venture capital industry matures, so should the techniques which high-technology firms and their venture capital backers use for risk management. If total risk is split up into innovation risk, business risk and agency risk, the main category of risk which hitherto the venture capitalist has sought to attenuate is agency risk. This has been addressed through improved management accounting systems, post-investment, and pre-commitment to the installation of such systems, pre-investment. However, success in this area has been incomplete, and attention to business and innovation risk has been severely limited. Lack of overall success in risk handling has, as a consequence, been a major cause of failure to provide adequate levels of outside finance for high-technology ventures, if appropriate yardstick comparison is made with US practise. This paper proposes a new research agenda, and a corresponding methodology, for investigating methods used for managing innovation, business and agency risks in investor-investee relations.
|Date of creation:||Oct 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 01334 462420
Fax: 01334 462438
Web page: http://crieff.wordpress.com/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gavin C Reid & Nicholas G Terry & Julia A Smith, 1995.
"Risk Management in Venture Capital Investor-Investee Relations,"
CRIEFF Discussion Papers
9505, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- G. C. Reid & N. G. Terry & J. A. Smith, 1997. "Risk management in venture capital investor?investee relations," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 27-47.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7656, David K. Levine.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Murray, Gordon C. & Lott, Jonathan, 1995. "Have UK venture capitalists a bias against investment in new technology-based firms?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 283-299, March.
- Ruhnka, John C. & Young, John E., 1991. "Some hypotheses about risk in venture capital investing," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 115-133, March.
- Fiet, James O., 1995. "Reliance upon informants in the venture capital industry," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 195-223, May.
- Gavin C Reid, 1998.
"The Application of Principal-Agent Methods to Investor-Investee Relations in the UK Venture Capital Industry,"
CRIEFF Discussion Papers
9810, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Gavin C. Reid, 1999. "The application of principal-agent methods to investor-investee relations in the UK venture capital industry," Venture Capital, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(4), pages 285-302, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:san:crieff:9915. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (the School of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.