Venture Capital Supply and Accounting Information System Development
This study examines the origins and characteristics of information systems of entrepreneurial firms going through that stage in their life cycle when serious growth ambitions are fuelled by an infusion of external capital. It does so by investigating the consequences of venture capital intervention for the entrepreneurial firm as regards changing characteristics of its accounting information system (AIS). Data are presented on twelve investor-investee ‘dyads’ (i.e. matched pairs) in the UK venture capital industry. Weight of evidence is adduced in favour of five propositions, relating to: monitoring demands; internal change within the investee firm; the variety, extent and frequency of information change; the use of enhanced information for decision support; and the universalist influence of the investor. This evidence has implications for practitioners, as well as for future research on AIS development.
|Date of creation:||Oct 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 01334 462420
Fax: 01334 462438
Web page: http://crieff.wordpress.com/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lerner, Josh, 1995. " Venture Capitalists and the Oversight of Private Firms," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 301-18, March.
- Wright, Mike & Thompson, Steve & Robbie, Ken, 1992. "Venture capital and management-led, leveraged buy-outs: A European perspective," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 47-71, January.
- Otley, David T., 1980. "The contingency theory of management accounting: Achievement and prognosis," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 413-428, October.
- Gompers, Paul A, 1995. " Optimal Investment, Monitoring, and the Staging of Venture Capital," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1461-89, December.
- Gavin C Reid, 1994. "Fast Growing Small Entrepreneurial Firms and their Venture Capital Backers: an Applied Principal-Agent Analysis," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9421, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Gompers, Paul & Lerner, Josh, 1999. "An analysis of compensation in the U.S. venture capital partnership," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 3-44, January.
- Jones, C. S., 1985. "An empirical study of the evidence for contingency theories of management accounting systems in conditions of rapid change," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 303-328, July.
- Falconer Mitchell & Gavin C Reid & Nicholas G Terry, 1994. "Post Investment Demand for Accounting Information by Venture Capitalists," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9424, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Gavin C Reid, 1994. "Early Life-Cycle Behaviour of Micro-Firms in Scotland," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9410, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:san:crieff:9616. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bram Boskamp)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.