Quality of Patenting in the UK Scientific Instruments Industry: Database Construction
This paper explains how a database of patent quality in the UK scientific instruments industry was constructed for the period 1981-90. A new and detailed decomposition of total patenting activity for the decade is reported upon for over ninety firms in the industry for this decade. This involves constructing patent families by exhaustively tracing all patent activity for the same invention over all patent regimes. The database is analysed in four ways: (i) differences between patenting and non-patenting firms; (ii) concentration and demand fragmentation; (iii) patenting and financial performance in 1986-87; (iv) optimal patenting firm size.
|Date of creation:||Oct 1994|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, Fife KY16 9AL|
Phone: 01334 462420
Fax: 01334 462438
Web page: http://crieff.wordpress.com/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carl A. Futia, 1980. "Schumpeterian Competition," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 94(4), pages 675-695.
- Bosworth, Derek L, 1973. "Changes in the Quality of Inventive Output and Patent Based Indices of Technological Change," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(2), pages 95-103, November.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998.
"Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey,"
in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 287-343
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1990. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 28(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Zvi Griliches, 1990. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Working Papers 3301, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1988. "Innovation in Large and Small Firms: An Empirical Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 678-90, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:san:crieff:9412. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (the School of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.