The Survival of Small Business Enterprise
This paper considers three themes central to the survival of small business enterprise. Firstly, the incentive for entrepreneurship, which is discussed within a theoretical framework that draws on cooperative market games analysis, and finds a rationale for entrepreneurship in facilitating coalition formation. Secondly, the determinants of survival of a small firm, which is discussed whithin a statistical framework, providing estimates of the influence of key factors like gearing and product range on survival over a three year period. Thirdly, the political economy of enterprise stimulation, which looks at enabling institutions for fostering the inception and growth of small firms (like the Scottish Development Agency and Scottish Enterprise), considered from the standpoint of comparative institutional analysis. The treatment is informal, being based on an Inaugural Lecture, and is designed to be accesssible to the non-specialist.
|Date of creation:||Oct 1993|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 01334 462420
Fax: 01334 462438
Web page: http://crieff.wordpress.com/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Binmore, Ken, 1987. "Experimental economics," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 257-264.
- Holmes, Thomas J & Schmitz, James A, Jr, 1990.
"A Theory of Entrepreneurship and Its Application to the Study of Business Transfers,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(2), pages 265-94, April.
- Leland, Hayne E & Pyle, David H, 1977.
"Informational Asymmetries, Financial Structure, and Financial Intermediation,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 371-87, May.
- Hayne E. Leland and David H. Pyle., 1976. "Informational Asymmetries, Financial Structure, and Financial Intermediation," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 41, University of California at Berkeley.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- von Ungern-Sternberg, Thomas, 1990.
"The Flexibility to Switch between Different Products,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 57(227), pages 355-69, August.
- Thomas VON UNGERN-STERNBERG, 1988. "The Flexibility to Switch between Different Products," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 8806, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Reid, Gavin C., 1991. "Staying in business," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 545-556, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:san:crieff:9309. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bram Boskamp)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.