On The Existence of A Cournot Equilibrium With Endogenous Income
We consider the general equilibrium of an economy with Cournot competition in the product market. In this framework, firms endowed with market power are assumed to know the true or objective demand function. However, depending on the economy's structure, the demand function varies with the size of income feedback effects. Two cases are studied depending on whether the consumers' income is considered by firms as exogenous (no feedback effects) or indogenous (feedback effects) to their actions. We establish a relationship between both cases, that is to say an expression for the demand for goods including feedback effects in terms of the demand without feedback effects. This relationship is useful regarding the conditions ensuring the existence of a Cournot equilibrium and also the features of this equilibrium. We illustrate the latter point through macroeconomic implications such as the debate, full employment vs involuntary unemployment.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, Fife KY16 9AL|
Phone: 01334 462420
Fax: 01334 462438
Web page: http://crieff.wordpress.com/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laurence Lasselle & Serge Svizzero, 1998. "Involuntary Unemployment and Income Feedback Effects," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9823, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- William Novshek, 1985.
"On the Existence of Cournot Equilibrium,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 52(1), pages 85-98.
- Oliver Hart, 1982. "A Model of Imperfect Competition with Keynesian Features," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 97(1), pages 109-138.
- Schultz, Christian, 1992.
"The impossibility of involuntary unemployment in an overlapping generations model with rational expectations,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 61-76, October.
- Christian Schultz, 1989. "The Impossibility of "Involuntary Unemployment" in an Overlapping Generations Model with Rational Expectations," Discussion Papers 89-18, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics, revised Oct 1989.
- Silvestre, Joaquim, 1993.
"The Market-Power Foundations of Macroeconomic Policy,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 31(1), pages 105-141, March.
- Silvestre, J., 1991. "The Market-Power Foundations of Macroeconomic Policy," Papers 374, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Laurence Lasselle & Serge Svizzero, 2000.
"Involuntary Unemployment in Imperfectly Competitive General Equilibrium Models,"
CRIEFF Discussion Papers
0008, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Lasselle, Laurence S & Svizzero, Serge A, 2002. " Involuntary Unemployment in Imperfectly Competitive General Equilibrium Models," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(4), pages 487-507, September.
- Silvestre, Joaquim, 1990.
"There May Be Unemployment When the Labour Market Is Competitive and the Output Market Is Not,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(402), pages 899-913, September.
- Silvestre, J., 1988. "There May Be Unemployment When The Labor Market Is Competitive And The Output Market Is Not," Papers 316, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Lasselle, Laurence & Svizzero, Serge, 2001. "The Impossibility of Underemployment with More Than One Product Market," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(1), pages 157-165, January.
- Kaas, Leo, 1998. "Multiplicity of Cournot Equilibria and Involuntary Unemployment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 332-349, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:san:crieff:0012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (the School of Economics)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.