Second Order Accurate Approximation to the Rotemberg Model Around a Distorted Steady State
Less is known about social welfare objectives when it is costly to change prices, as in Rotemberg (1982), compared with Calvo-type models. We derive a quadratic approximate welfare function around a distorted steady state for the costly price adjustment model. We highlight the similarities and differences to the Calvo setup. Both models imply inflation and output stabilization goals. It is explained why the degree of distortion in the economy influences inflation aversion in the Rotemberg framework in a way that differs from the Calvo setup.
|Date of creation:||15 Sep 2009|
|Date of revision:||15 Apr 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 01334 462420
Fax: 01334 462444
Web page: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/cdma
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tatiana Damjanovic & Charles Nolan, 2010. "Seigniorage-Maximizing Inflation under Sticky Prices," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 42(2-3), pages 503-519, 03.
- Tatiana Damjanovic & Charles Nolan, 2010.
"Relative Price Distortions and Inflation Persistence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 120(547), pages 1080-1099, 09.
- Tatiana Damjanovic & Charles Nolan, 2006. "Relative Price Distortions and Inflation Persistence," CDMA Working Paper Series 200611, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
- Michael Woodford & Pierpaolo Benigno, 2004.
"Inflation Stabilization and Welfare: The Case of a Distorted Steady State,"
2004 Meeting Papers
481, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Pierpaolo Benigno & Michael Woodford, 2005. "Inflation Stabilization And Welfare: The Case Of A Distorted Steady State," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 3(6), pages 1185-1236, December.
- Pierpaolo Benigno & Michael Woodford, 2004. "Inflation Stabilization and Welfare: The Case of a Distorted Steady State," NBER Working Papers 10838, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pierpaolo Benigno & Michael Woodford, 2004. "Inflation stabilization and welfare: The case of a distorted steady state," Discussion Papers 0405-04, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Rossi Lorenza & Guido Ascari, 2008. "Long-run Phillips Curve and Disinfation Dynamics: Calvo vs. Rotemberg Price Setting," DISCE - Quaderni dell'Istituto di Economia e Finanza ief0082, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Martin Uribe & Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe, 2001.
"Optimal fiscal and monetary policy under sticky prices,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Jun.
- Schmitt-Grohe, Stephanie & Uribe, Martin, 2004. "Optimal fiscal and monetary policy under sticky prices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 198-230, February.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2001. "Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy Under Sticky Prices," Departmental Working Papers 200105, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Schmitt-Grohé, Stephanie & Uribe, Martín, 2001. "Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy Under Sticky Prices," CEPR Discussion Papers 2942, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephanie Schmitt-Grohe & Martin Uribe, 2002. "Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy Under Sticky Prices," NBER Working Papers 9220, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Damjanovic, Tatiana & Nolan, Charles, 2008.
SIRE Discussion Papers
2008-35, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Rotemberg, Julio J, 1982. "Sticky Prices in the United States," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1187-1211, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:san:cdmawp:0907. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bram Boskamp)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.