Macroeconomic Implications of Gold Reserve Policy of the Bank of England during the Eighteenth Century
By imposing a simple adjustment cost on gold purchases the Bank of England was able to manage external drains of monetary gold while maintaining the convertibility of pound during the eighteenth century. This was a period during which constant political disturbances and external shocks on the market price of gold made monetary policy a challenging task. The implications of adjustment cost were not just limited to the gold reserves of the Bank, but stabilised consumption and the price level.
|Date of creation:||15 Feb 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 01334 462420
Fax: 01334 462444
Web page: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/cdma
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sargent, Thomas J. & Wallace, Meil, 1983.
"A model of commodity money,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 163-187.
- François R. Velde & Warren E. Weber, 1998.
"A model of bimetallism,"
588, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Barro, Robert J, 1979. "Money and the Price Level under the Gold Standard," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(353), pages 13-33, March.
- Elisa Newby, 2007. "The Suspension of Cash Payments as a Monetary Regime," CDMA Working Paper Series 200707, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
- Goodfriend, Marvin, 1988.
"Central banking under the gold standard,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 85-124, January.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1983. "Stochastic Consumption, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Asset Returns," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 249-65, April.
- Michael D. Bordo & Robert D. Dittmar & William T. Gavin, 2003.
"Gold, Fiat Money, and Price Stability,"
NBER Working Papers
10171, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bordo Michael D. & Kydland Finn E., 1995. "The Gold Standard As a Rule: An Essay in Exploration," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 423-464, October.
- North, Douglass C. & Weingast, Barry R., 1989. "Constitutions and Commitment: The Evolution of Institutions Governing Public Choice in Seventeenth-Century England," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 49(04), pages 803-832, December.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 1982.
"Adjustment Costs, Durables, and Aggregate Consumption,"
NBER Working Papers
1038, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben, 1985. "Adjustment costs, durables, and aggregate consumption," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 41-68, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:san:cdmawp:0708. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bram Boskamp)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.