Disinflation in an Open-Economy Staggered-Wage DGE Model: Exchange-Rate Pegging, Booms and the Role of Preannouncement
A dynamic general equilibrium model of an open economy with staggered wages is constructed. We analyse disinflation through pegging the exchange rate. In accordance with the stylised facts, an initial boom in output can result, depending on the exact level of the peg. The reason is an element of preannouncement in the policy. Disinflation through reducing monetary growth is shown to be equivalent to disinflation through pegging the exchange rate, if the latter includes an initial currency revaluation. This helps explain why such disinflation causes a short-run slump. The model can also help explain inflation persistence.
|Date of creation:||15 Oct 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, Fife KY16 9AL|
Phone: 01334 462436
Fax: 01334 462444
Web page: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/cdma
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ascari, Guido, 1998. "Superneutrality Of Money In Staggered Wage-Setting Models," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 2(03), pages 383-400, September.
- De Gregorio, Jose & Guidotti, Pablo E & Vegh, Carlos A, 1998.
"Inflation Stabilisation and the Consumption of Durable Goods,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(446), pages 105-131, January.
- José De Gregorio & Pablo E. Guidotti & Carlos A. Végh, 1998. "Inflation Stabilization and the Consumption of Durable Goods," Documentos de Trabajo 26, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Ascari, Guido & Rankin, Neil, 2002. "Staggered wages and output dynamics under disinflation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 653-680, April.
- Ascari, G. & Rankin, N., 2000. "Staggered Wages and Output Dynamics under Disinflation," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 557, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Ball, Laurence, 1994. "Credible Disinflation with Staggered Price-Setting," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 282-289, March.
- Laurence Ball, 1990. "Credible Disinflation with Staggered Price Setting," NBER Working Papers 3555, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ascari, Guido, 2000. "Optimising Agents, Staggered Wages and Persistence in the Real Effects of Money Shocks," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(465), pages 664-686, July.
- Ascari, G., 1997. "Optimizing Agents, Staggered Wages and Persistence in the Real Effects of Money Shocks," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 486, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Celasun, Oya, 2006. "Sticky inflation and the real effects of exchange rate-based stabilization," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 115-139, September.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-1176, December.
- Guillermo A. Calvo, 1983. "Staggered Contracts and Exchange Rate Policy," NBER Chapters,in: Exchange Rates and International Macroeconomics, pages 235-258 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)