Optimal Monetary Policy Rules from a Timeless Perspective
The timelessly optimal monetary policy proposed by Woodford (2003) may be dominated by alternative timeless policies. We provide a formal justification for these alternative policies. We demonstrate why discount rates do not matter and establish that optimizing over the unconditional expectation of the policy criterion function recovers these alternative strategies.
|Date of creation:||15 Oct 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 01334 462420
Fax: 01334 462444
Web page: http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/cdma
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- n/a, 2001.
"A Timeless Perspective on Optimality in Forward-Looking Rational Expectations Models,"
NIESR Discussion Papers
154, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Blake, Andrew P., 2002. "A 'Timeless Perspective' on Optimality in Forward-Looking Rational Expectations Models," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 30, Royal Economic Society.
- Mark Gertler & Jordi Gali & Richard Clarida, 1999.
"The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Clarida, Richard & Galí, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 2139, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 1997. "The science of monetary policy: A new Keynesian perspective," Economics Working Papers 356, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 1999.
- Clarida, R. & Gali, J. & Gertler, M., 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," Working Papers 99-13, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," NBER Working Papers 7147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc P. Giannoni & Michael Woodford, 2003.
"Optimal Interest-Rate Rules: I. General Theory,"
506439000000000384, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Woodford, Michael, 1999.
"Optimal monetary policy inertia,"
CFS Working Paper Series
1999/09, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Woodford, Michael, 2000. "Optimal Monetary Policy Inertia," Seminar Papers 666, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Woodford, M., 1999. "Optimal Monetary Policy Inertia.," Papers 666, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Michael Woodford, 1999. "Optimal Monetary Policy Inertia," NBER Working Papers 7261, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blake, Andrew P. & Kirsanova, Tatiana, 2004.
"A note on timeless perspective policy design,"
Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 9-16, October.
- Tatiana Kirsanova, 2004. "A note on timeless perspective policy design," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 50, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Jensen, Christian & McCallum, Bennett T., 2002.
"The non-optimality of proposed monetary policy rules under timeless perspective commitment,"
Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 163-168, October.
- Christian Jensen & Bennett C. McCallum, 2002. "The Non-Optimality of Proposed Monetary Policy Rules Under Timeless-Perspective Commitment," NBER Working Papers 8882, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Taylor, John B, 1979. "Estimation and Control of a Macroeconomic Model with Rational Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1267-86, September.
- Julio J. Rotemberg & Michael Woodford, 1999.
"Interest Rate Rules in an Estimated Sticky Price Model,"
in: Monetary Policy Rules, pages 57-126
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Julio J. Rotemberg & Michael Woodford, 1998. "Interest-Rate Rules in an Estimated Sticky Price Model," NBER Working Papers 6618, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1977. "Rules Rather Than Discretion: The Inconsistency of Optimal Plans," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(3), pages 473-91, June.
- Söderlind, Paul, 1998.
"Solution and Estimation of RE Macromodels with Optimal Policy,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
256, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Soderlind, Paul, 1999. "Solution and estimation of RE macromodels with optimal policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 813-823, April.
- Kollmann, Robert, 2002.
"Monetary Policy Rules in the Open Economy: Effects on Welfare and Business Cycles,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3279, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kollmann, Robert, 2002. "Monetary policy rules in the open economy: effects on welfare and business cycles," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(5), pages 989-1015, July.
- Robert Kollmann, 2002. "Monetary policy rules in the open economy: effects of welfare and business cycles," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7628, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Christopher J. Erceg & Dale W. Henderson & Andrew T. Levin, 1999.
"Optimal monetary policy with staggered wage and price contracts,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
640, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Erceg, Christopher J. & Henderson, Dale W. & Levin, Andrew T., 2000. "Optimal monetary policy with staggered wage and price contracts," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 281-313, October.
- Andrew Levin & Christopher J. Erceg & Dale W. Henderson, 1999. "Optimal Monetary Policy with Staggered Wage and Price Contracts," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 1151, Society for Computational Economics.
- Julio J. Rotemberg & Michael Woodford, 1998. "An Optimization-Based Econometric Framework for the Evaluation of Monetary Policy: Expanded Version," NBER Technical Working Papers 0233, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:san:cdmawp:0510. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bram Boskamp)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.