Health Inequality and the 1918 Influenza in South Africa
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Fourie, Johan & Jayes, Jonathan, 2021. "Health inequality and the 1918 influenza in South Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 141(C).
- Fourie, Johan & Jayes, Jonathan, 2021. "Health inequality and the 1918 influenza in South Africa," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 532, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
References listed on IDEAS
- Doorslaer, Eddy van & Wagstaff, Adam & Rutten, Frans (ed.), 1992. "Equity in the Finance and Delivery of Health Care: An International Perspective," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780192622914.
- Marcella Alsan & Marianne Wanamaker, 2018. "Tuskegee and the Health of Black Men," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 133(1), pages 407-455.
- Woo, G., 2019. "Age-dependence of the 1918 pandemic," British Actuarial Journal, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24, pages 1-1, January.
- A'Hearn, Brian & Baten, JÃ¶rg & Crayen, Dorothee, 2009.
"Quantifying Quantitative Literacy: Age Heaping and the History of Human Capital,"
The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 69(3), pages 783-808, September.
- Brian A'Hearn & Jörg Baten & Dorothee Crayen, 2006. "Quantifying quantitative literacy: Age heaping and the history of human capital," Economics Working Papers 996, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- A'Hearn, Brian & Baten, Jörg & Crayen, Dorothee, 2009. "Quantifying Quantitative Literacy: Age Heaping and the History of Human Capital," CEPR Discussion Papers 7277, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Burger, Ronelle & Christian, Carmen, 2020. "Access to health care in post-apartheid South Africa: availability, affordability, acceptability," Health Economics, Policy and Law, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(1), pages 43-55, January.
- Quinn, S.C. & Kumar, S. & Freimuth, V.S. & Musa, D. & Casteneda-Angarita, N. & Kidwell, K., 2011. "Racial disparities in exposure, susceptibility, and access to health care in the US H1N1 influenza pandemic," American Journal of Public Health, American Public Health Association, vol. 101(2), pages 285-293.
- Mikołaj Szołtysek & R. Poniat & S. Gruber, 2018. "Age heaping patterns in Mosaic data," Historical Methods: A Journal of Quantitative and Interdisciplinary History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 51(1), pages 13-38, January.
- van Doorslaer, Eddy & Wagstaff, Adam, 1992. "Equity in the delivery of health care: some international comparisons," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 389-411, December.
- Wagstaff, Adam & van Doorslaer, Eddy, 1992. "Equity in the finance of health care: Some international comparisons," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 361-387, December.
- Hutchins, S.S. & Fiscella, K. & Levine, R.S. & Ompad, D.C. & McDonald, M., 2009. "Protection of racial/ethnic minority populations during an influenza pandemic," American Journal of Public Health, American Public Health Association, vol. 99(S2), pages 261-270.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Fleurbaey, Marc & Schokkaert, Erik, 2009.
"Unfair inequalities in health and health care,"
Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 73-90, January.
- FLEURBAEY, Marc & SCHOKKAERT, Erik, 2007. "Unfair inequalities in health and health care," LIDAM Discussion Papers CORE 2007090, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- FLEURBAEY, Marc & SCHOKKAERT, Erik, 2009. "Unfair inequalities in health and health care," LIDAM Reprints CORE 2141, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G & Sundberg, Gun, 1996. "Measuring Income-Related Health Inequalities in Sweden," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 120, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Ulf‐ G. Gerdtham, 1997.
"Equity in Health Care Utilization: Further Tests Based on Hurdle Models and Swedish Micro Data,"
Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(3), pages 303-319, May.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G., 1996. "Equity in Health Care Utilisation: Further Tests Based on Hurdle models and Swedish Micro Data," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 116, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Wagstaff, Adam & van Doorslaer, Eddy & van der Burg, Hattem & Calonge, Samuel & Christiansen, Terkel & Citoni, Guido & Gerdtham, Ulf-G & Gerfin, Mike & Gross, Lorna & Hakinnen, Unto, 1999. "Equity in the finance of health care: some further international comparisons1," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 263-290, June.
- Pavlova, Milena & Groot, Wim & van Merode, Godefridus, 2002. "Public attitudes towards patient payments in Bulgarian public health care sector: results of a household survey," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 1-24, January.
- Danyliv, Andriy & Groot, Wim & Gryga, Irena & Pavlova, Milena, 2014. "Willingness and ability to pay for physician services in six Central and Eastern European countries," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 72-82.
- Marco Remondino, 2018. "Information Technology in Healthcare: HHC-MOTES, a Novel Set of Metrics to Analyse IT Sustainability in Different Areas," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 10(8), pages 1-20, August.
- Pandey, Anamika & Clarke, Lynda & Dandona, Lalit & Ploubidis, George B., 2018. "Inequity in out-of-pocket payments for hospitalisation in India: Evidence from the National Sample Surveys, 1995–2014," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 201(C), pages 136-147.
- Èric Gómez-i-Aznar, 2020. "Ad maiorem Dei gloriam. Numeracy levels in the Guarani Jesuit missions," Working Papers 0181, European Historical Economics Society (EHES).
- Panos Kanavos & Olivier Wouters & Anna Zawada & Katarzyna Kolasa & Christian Kronborg & Daniel Rabczenko & Tomasz Rybnik & Jørgen T. Lauridsen & Urszula Ceglowska & Tomasz Hermanowski, 2017. "A Comparison of the Burden of Out-of-Pocket Health Payments in Denmark, Germany and Poland," Global Policy, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 8(s2), pages 123-130, March.
- Gregoire Mercier & Jenica Pastor & Valerie Clément & Ulysse Rodts & Christine Moffat & Isabelle Quéré, 2019. "Out-of-pocket payments, vertical equity and unmet medical needs in France: A national multicenter prospective study on lymphedema," PLOS ONE, Public Library of Science, vol. 14(5), pages 1-13, May.
- André, Christine, 2015. "Les systèmes de santé européens en longue période," Revue de la Régulation - Capitalisme, institutions, pouvoirs, Association Recherche et Régulation, vol. 17.
- Eddy van Doorslaer & Owen O'Donnell, 2008.
"Measurement and Explanation of Inequality in Health and Health Care in Low-Income Settings,"
WIDER Working Paper Series
DP2008-04, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Eddy van Doorslaer & Owen Oâ€™ Donnell, 2010. "Measurement and Explanation of Inequality in Health and Health Care in Low-Income Settings," Working Papers id:3177, eSocialSciences.
- P Sivashankar & RMPS Rathnayake & Maneka Jayasinghe & Christine Smith, 2017. "Incidence of value added taxation on inequality: Evidence from Sri Lanka," Discussion Papers in Economics economics:201704, Griffith University, Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics.
- Kim, Tae Jun & Vonneilich, Nico & Lüdecke, Daniel & von dem Knesebeck, Olaf, 2017. "Income, financial barriers to health care and public health expenditure: A multilevel analysis of 28 countries," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 176(C), pages 158-165.
- Robert Kolesar & Sambo Pheakdey & Bart Jacobs & Narith Chan & Samedy Yok & Martine Audibert, 2019. "Expanding Social Health Protection in Cambodia: An assessment of the current coverage potential and gaps, and social equity considerations," Working Papers halshs-02018867, HAL.
- Bond, Derek & Conniffe, Denis, 2003. "Allocating Funding across Health Boards - Is Equity Easy?," Papers HRBWP05, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Jones, Andrew M. & Rice, Nigel & Robone, Silvana & Dias, Pedro Rosa, 2011.
"Inequality and polarisation in health systems' responsiveness: A cross-country analysis,"
Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 616-625, July.
- Janoes, A & Rice, N & Robone, S & Rosa Dias, P, 2010. "Inequality and Polarisation in Health Systems’ Responsiveness: A Cross-Country Analysis," Health, Econometrics and Data Group (HEDG) Working Papers 10/27, HEDG, c/o Department of Economics, University of York.
- Bond. D. & Conniffe.D., 2002. "Cross-Regional Equality in Health Care Funding," Economics Department Working Paper Series n1120102.pdf, Department of Economics, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Schulz, Erika & Coda Moscarola, Flavia & Golinowska, Stanisława & Radvansky, Marek & Geyer, Johannes, 2013. "Impact of Ageing on Curative Health Care Workforce in Selected EU Countries," EconStor Preprints 128601, ZBW - Leibniz Information Centre for Economics.
More about this item
KeywordsSpanish ï¬‚u; health care; inequality; Healthcare; inï¬‚uenza; pandemic;
All these keywords.
- I14 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health and Inequality
- N37 - Economic History - - Labor and Consumers, Demography, Education, Health, Welfare, Income, Wealth, Religion, and Philanthropy - - - Africa; Oceania
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-HIS-2021-05-24 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-URE-2021-05-24 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rza:wpaper:852. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/ersacza.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Dane Rossenrode (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/ersacza.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.