The Role of Banks in Monetary Policy Transmission in South Africa
The role of banks in transmission of monetary policy in an economy has been a subject of theoretical and empirical investigations. This study attempts to empirically investigate the role played by private commercial banks in South Africa in transmitting the impulses of monetary policy shocks to the rest of the economy. Focus is placed on the bank lending channel of monetary transmission due to the importance of banks in the financial system. Specifically, we examine whether the central bank's monetary policy stance affects banks' lending behaviour. We specify and test the bank lending channel of monetary policy transmission in South Africa by using a panel structural approach that distinguishes banks according to size. The results indicate the prevalence of the bank lending channel in which banks play a pivotal role in the monetary policy transmission in South Africa. Also bank size had proved to appropriately discriminate banks in South Africa according to their external finance cost.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 021 671-3980
Fax: +27 21 671 3912
Web page: http://www.econrsa.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tuuli Juurikkala & Alexei Karas & Laura Solanko, 2011.
"The Role of Banks in Monetary Policy Transmission: Empirical Evidence from Russia,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(1), pages 109-121, 02.
- Juurikkala, Tuuli & Solanko, Laura & Karas, Alexei, 2009. "The role of banks in monetary policy transmission: Empirical evidence from Russia," BOFIT Discussion Papers 8/2009, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Oleg Badunenko & Saloni Deva & Dorothea Schäfer & Michael Viertel, 2009. "What's Banking Sector Concentration Got to Do with Private Equity Market?," Working Paper / FINESS 3.4, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Christopher F Baum & Mark E. Schaffer & Steven Stillman, 2002.
"Instrumental variables and GMM: Estimation and testing,"
United Kingdom Stata Users' Group Meetings 2003
02, Stata Users Group.
- Christopher F Baum & Mark E. Schaffer & Steven Stillman, 2003. "Instrumental variables and GMM: Estimation and testing," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 3(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Christopher F Baum & Mark E. Schaffer & Steven Stillman, 2002. "Instrumental variables and GMM: Estimation and testing," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 545, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 14 Feb 2003.
- Christopher F Baum & Mark E. Schaffer & Steven Stillman, 2002. "Instrumental variables and GMM: Estimation and testing," North American Stata Users' Group Meetings 2003 05, Stata Users Group.
- Anil K Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein, 1994.
"The Impact of Monetary Policy on Bank Balance Sheets,"
NBER Working Papers
4821, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kashyap, Anil K. & Stein, Jeremy C., 1995. "The impact of monetary policy on bank balance sheets," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 151-195, June.
- Leonardo Gambacorta & Paolo Emilio Mistrulli, 2003. "Bank Capital and Lending Behaviour: Empirical Evidence for Italy," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 486, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Ghosh, Saibal, 2006. "Monetary policy and bank behavior: Empirical evidence from India," MPRA Paper 17395, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chirok Han & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2007.
"GMM Estimation for Dynamic Panels with Fixed Effects and Strong Instruments at Unity,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1599, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Han, Chirok & Phillips, Peter C. B., 2010. "Gmm Estimation For Dynamic Panels With Fixed Effects And Strong Instruments At Unity," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(01), pages 119-151, February.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995.
"Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 27-48, Fall.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," NBER Working Papers 5146, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark, 1995. "Inside the Black Box: The Credit Channel of Monetary Policy Transmission," Working Papers 95-15, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1996. "The Channels of Monetary Transmission: Lessons for Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 5464, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anil Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein, 1993.
"Monetary Policy and Bank Lending,"
NBER Working Papers
4317, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- VanHoose, David D., 1983. "Monetary policy under alternative bank market structures," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 383-404, September.
- repec:diw:diwfin:diwfin03040 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nicholas Apergis & Effrosyni Alevizopoulou, 2012. "The Bank Lending Channel and Monetary Policy Rules: Evidence from European Banks," International Advances in Economic Research, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 18(1), pages 1-14, February.
- Vinicius Carrasco & João Manoel Pinho de Mello, 2006. "A relational theory of relationship lending under contractual incompleteness," Textos para discussão 520, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil), revised Jan 2000.
- Carrera, Cesar, 2010. "The Bank Lending Channel in Peru: evidence and transmission mechanism," Working Papers 2010-021, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Anonymous, 1994. "Monetary Policy Statement, December 1994," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 57, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rza:wpaper:295. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yoemna Mosaval)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.