The wealth of the Cape Colony: Measurements from probate inventories
The stylized view of the Dutch Cape Colony (1652-1795) is of a poor, subsistence economy, with little progress in the first 143 years of Dutch rule. New evidence from probate inventory and auction roll records show that previous estimates about wealth at the Cape are inaccurate. In contrast to earlier historical accounts, the inventories reveal evidence of an affluent, market-integrated settler society, comparable to the most prosperous regions in eighteenth century England and Holland.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 021 671-3980
Fax: +27 21 671 3912
Web page: http://www.econrsa.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eytan Sheshinski, 2006.
"Longevity and Aggregate Savings,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1828, CESifo Group Munich.
- Eytan Sheshinski, 2005. "Longevity and Aggregate Savings," Discussion Paper Series dp403, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Eytan Sheshinski, 2009. "Longevity and Aggregate Savings," Discussion Paper Series dp519, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Goldberger, Arthur S, 1973. "Dependency Rates and Savings Rates: Further Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(1), pages 232-33, March.
- Gupta, Kanhaya L, 1971. "Dependency Rates and Savings Rates: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(3), pages 469-71, June.
- Robert M. Schmidt & Allen C. Kelley, 1996. "Saving, dependency and development," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 365-386.
- Li, Hongbin & Zhang, Jie & Zhang, Junsen, 2007.
"Effects of longevity and dependency rates on saving and growth: Evidence from a panel of cross countries,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 138-154, September.
- Hongbin Li & Junsen Zhang & Jie Zhang, . "Effects of longevity and dependency rates on saving and growth: Evidence from a panel of cross countries," MRG Discussion Paper Series 1106, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- David E. Bloom & David Canning & Bryan Graham, 2002.
"Longevity and Life Cycle Savings,"
NBER Working Papers
8808, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eytan Sheshinski, 2006. "Note on Longevity and Aggregate Savings," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 108(2), pages 353-356, 07.
- David M. Blau & Ryan M. Goodstein, 2010. "Can Social Security Explain Trends in Labor Force Participation of Older Men in the United States?," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 45(2).
- Leff, Nathaniel H, 1971. "Dependency Rates and Savings Rates: Reply," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(3), pages 476-80, June.
- An, Chong-Bum & Jeon, Seung-Hoon, 2006. "Demographic change and economic growth: An inverted-U shape relationship," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 92(3), pages 447-454, September.
- Andrew Mason & Tomoko Kinugasa, 2005. "Why Nations Become Wealthy: The Effects of Adult Longevity on Saving," Working Papers 200514, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Milton Friedman, 1957. "A Theory of the Consumption Function," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number frie57-1, Abril.
- Ram, Rati, 1982. "Dependency Rates and Aggregate Savings: A New International Cross-Section Study," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 537-44, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rza:wpaper:268. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yoemna Mosaval)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.