What drives remittance inflows to Sub-Saharan Africa: A Dynamic Panel Approach
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Francis Kemegue & Emmanuel Owusu-Sekyere & Renee van Eyden, 2011. "What Drives Remittance Inflows to Sub-Saharan Africa? A Dynamic Panel Approach," Working Papers 201128, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
References listed on IDEAS
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-1054, July.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Newey, Whitney & Rosen, Harvey S, 1989.
"The Revenues-Expenditures Nexus: Evidence from Local Government Data,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(2), pages 415-429, May.
- Douglas Holtz-Eakin & Whitney K. Newey & Harvey S. Rosen, 1987. "The Revenues-Expenditures Nexus: Evidence from Local Government Data," NBER Working Papers 2180, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS program to demonstrate IV estimation of VAR in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTZ00185, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Raju Jan Singh & Markus Haacker & Kyung-woo Lee & Maëlan Le Goff, 2011.
"Determinants and Macroeconomic Impact of Remittances in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 20(2), pages 312-340, March.
- Raju J Singh & Kyung-woo Lee & Markus Haacker, 2009. "Determinants and Macroeconomic Impact of Remittances in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 09/216, International Monetary Fund.
- Maëlan Le Goff & Markus Haacker & Kyung-Woo Lee & Raju Jan Singh, 2011. "Determinants and Macroeconomic Impact of Remittances in Sub-Saharan Africa," Post-Print halshs-00569044, HAL.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2004.
"‘General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels’,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0435, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem, 2004. "General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels," IZA Discussion Papers 1240, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2004. "General Diagnostic Tests for Cross Section Dependence in Panels," CESifo Working Paper Series 1229, CESifo Group Munich.
- John C. Driscoll & Aart C. Kraay, 1998. "Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation With Spatially Dependent Panel Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 549-560, November.
- Carlos Vargas-Silva & Peng Huang, 2006.
"Macroeconomic determinantsof workers' remittances: Hostversus home country's economic conditions,"
The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 81-99.
- Carlos Vargas-Silva & Peng Huang, 2005. "Macroeconomic Determinants of Workers’ Remittances: Host vs. Home Country’s Economic Conditions," International Finance 0507007, EconWPA, revised 27 Nov 2005.
- Bugamelli, Matteo & Paternò, Francesco, 2009.
"Do Workers' Remittances Reduce the Probability of Current Account Reversals?,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 1821-1838, December.
- Bugamelli, Matteo & Paterno, Francesco, 2005. "Do workers'remittances reduce the probability of current account reversals ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3766, The World Bank.
- Matteo Bugamelli & Francesco Paternò, 2006. "Do Workers' Remittances Reduce the Probability of Current Account Reversals?," CEP Discussion Papers dp0714, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Bugamelli, Matteo & Paterno, Francesco, 2006. "Do workers' remittances reduce the probability of current account reversals?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19872, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Glytsos, Nicholas & Katseli, Louka Tarsitsa, 1986. "Theoretical and Empirical Determinants of International Labour Mobility: A Greek-German Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 148, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Frees, Edward W., 1995. "Assessing cross-sectional correlation in panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 393-414, October.
- Rapoport, Hillel & Docquier, Frederic, 2006. "The Economics of Migrants' Remittances," Handbook on the Economics of Giving, Reciprocity and Altruism, Elsevier.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Adolfo Barajas & Ralph Chami & Connel Fullenkamp & Anjali Garg, 2010.
"The Global Financial Crisis and Workers' Remittances to Africa: What's the Damage?,"
Journal of African Development,
African Finance and Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 73-96.
- Ralph Chami & Adolfo Barajas & Anjali Garg & Connel Fullenkamp, 2010. "The Global Financial Crisis and Workers' Remittances to Africa; What's the Damage?," IMF Working Papers 10/24, International Monetary Fund.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, "undated". "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Stephen Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Nicholas P. Glytsos, 1997. "Remitting Behaviour of "Temporary" and "Permanent" Migrants: The Case of Greeks in Germany and Australia," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 11(3), pages 409-435, November.
- Love, Inessa & Zicchino, Lea, 2006. "Financial development and dynamic investment behavior: Evidence from panel VAR," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 190-210, May.
- Dilip Ratha & Sanket Mohapatra & Ani Silwal, 2009. "Migration and Remittance Trends 2009 : A Better-Than-Expected Outcome So Far, But Significant Risks Ahead," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10958, The World Bank.
- Sanjeev Gupta & Catherine A Pattillo & Smita Wagh, 2007. "Impact of Remittances on Poverty and Financial Development in Sub-Saharan Africa," IMF Working Papers 07/38, International Monetary Fund.
- Corden, W Max & Neary, J Peter, 1982. "Booming Sector and De-Industrialisation in a Small Open Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(368), pages 825-848, December.
- Rafael E. De Hoyos & Vasilis Sarafidis, 2006. "Testing for cross-sectional dependence in panel-data models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 6(4), pages 482-496, December.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas, 1988. "Testing for individual effects in autoregressive models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 297-307, November.
- de la Briere, Benedicte & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & de Janvry, Alain & Lambert, Sylvie, 2002. "The roles of destination, gender, and household composition in explaining remittances: an analysis for the Dominican Sierra," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 309-328, August.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Donggyu Sul, 2003. "Dynamic panel estimation and homogeneity testing under cross section dependence *," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 6(1), pages 217-259, June.
- Matthew Higgins & Alketa Hysenbegasi & Susan Pozo, 2004. "Exchange-rate uncertainty and workers' remittances," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(6), pages 403-411.
- Amuedo-Dorantes, Catalina & Pozo, Susan, 2004. "Workers' Remittances and the Real Exchange Rate: A Paradox of Gifts," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1407-1417, August.
- Jerry Coakley & Ana-Maria Fuertes & Ron Smith, 2002. "A Principal Components Approach to Cross-Section Dependence in Panels," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 B5-3, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Funkhouser, Edward, 1995. "Remittances from International Migration: A Comparison of El Salvador and Nicaragua," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(1), pages 137-146, February.
- Windmeijer, Frank, 2005. "A finite sample correction for the variance of linear efficient two-step GMM estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 25-51, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ebenezer A. Olubiyi & Kubrat O. Kehinde, 2015. "Does Exchange Rate Affect Remittances in Nigeria?," The Review of Finance and Banking, Academia de Studii Economice din Bucuresti, Romania / Facultatea de Finante, Asigurari, Banci si Burse de Valori / Catedra de Finante, vol. 7(1), pages 031-045, June.
- Emmanuel Owusu-Sekyere & Reneé van Eyden & Francis M Kemegue, 2014.
"Remittances and the Dutch Disease in Sub-Saharan Africa: A Dynamic Panel Approach,"
University of Finance and Management in Warsaw, vol. 8(3), September.
- Emmanuel Owusu-Sekyere & Renee van Eyden & Francis Kemegue, 2011. "Remittances And The Dutch Disease In Sub-Saharan Africa: A Dynamic Panel Approach," Working Papers 201129, University of Pretoria, Department of Economics.
- Francis M. Kemegue & ReneÃ© van Eyden & Emmanuel Owusu-Sekyere, 2011. "Remittances and the Dutch disease in Sub-Saharan Africa. A Dynamic Panel Approach," Working Papers 259, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Ahmed, Junaid & Martínez-Zarzoso, Inmaculada, 2015. "Do transfer costs matter for foreign remittances? A gravity model approach," Economics Discussion Papers 2015-12, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Ahmed, Junaid & Martinez-Zarzoso, Inmaculada, 2014. "What drives bilateral remittances to Pakistan? A gravity model approach," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 209, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- repec:bla:worlde:v:40:y:2017:i:12:p:2875-2900 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:spr:portec:v:16:y:2017:i:3:d:10.1007_s10258-017-0136-y is not listed on IDEAS
- Hrushikesh Mallick & Mantu Kumar Mahalik, 2016. "Motivating Factors Of Remittances Inflows Into Developing Asian Economies," The Singapore Economic Review (SER), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 61(04), pages 1-26, September.
- repec:gei:jnlfer:v:2:y:2017:i:1:p:40-55 is not listed on IDEAS
More about this item
Keywordsmigration; remittances; Sub-Saharan Africa;
- F22 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Migration
- F24 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Remittances
- O55 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Africa
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2012-03-21 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2012-03-21 (Development)
- NEP-MIG-2012-03-21 (Economics of Human Migration)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rza:wpaper:262. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Tanton). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/ersacza.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.