Non-Standard Monetary Policy Measures – Magic Wand or Tiger by the Tail?
This paper briefly assesses the effectiveness of the different non-standard monetary policy tools in the Euro Area. Its main focus is on the Outright Monetary Transactions (OMT) Programme which is praised by some as the ECB’s “magic wand”. Moreover, it discloses further possible unintended consequences of these measures in the current context of weak economic activity and subdued growth going forward. For this purpose, it investigates specific risks for price stability and asset price developments in the first main part of the paper. It is not a too remote issue that the Fed does have a “tiger by the tail”, as Hayek (2009) expressed it, i.e. that the bank will finally have to accept either a recession or inflation and that there is no choice in between. Furthermore, it checks on whether the OMT programme really does not impose costs onto the taxpayer. Finally, it comes up with some policy implications from differences in money and credit growth in different individual countries of the Euro Area. The second main part of the paper assesses which other tools the ECB could use in order to stimulate the economy in the Euro Area. It does so by delivering details on whether and how the effectiveness of the ECB’s policies can be improved through more transparency and “forward guidance”.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hohenzollernstraße 1-3, 45128 Essen|
Web page: http://www.rwi-essen.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.rwi-essen.de/publikationen/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2007.
"Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity,"
NBER Working Papers
12939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2007. "Market liquidity and funding liquidity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24478, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Lasse Heje Pederson & Markus K Brunnermeier, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," FMG Discussion Papers dp580, Financial Markets Group.
- Brunnermeier, Markus K & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," CEPR Discussion Papers 6179, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kool, Clemens J. M. & Thornton, Daniel L., 2012.
"How effective is central bank forward guidance?,"
2012-063, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Clemens J. M. Kool Author-Name-First Clemens J. M. & Daniel L. Thornton Author-Name-First Daniel L., 2014. "How Effective Is Central Bank Forward Guidance?," Working Papers CASMEF 1405, Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza, LUISS Guido Carli.
- C.J.M. Kool & D.L. Thornton, 2012. "How Effective Is Central Bank Forward Guidance?," Working Papers 12-05, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Paul De Grauwe & Yuemei Ji, 2012.
"Self-Fulfilling Crises in the Eurozone. An Empirical Test,"
CAMA Working Papers
2012-37, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- De Grauwe, Paul & Ji, Yuemei, 2013. "Self-fulfilling crises in the Eurozone: An empirical test," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 15-36.
- Paul de Grauwe & Yuemei Ji, 2013. "Self-fulfilling crises in the Eurozone: an empirical test," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 49648, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Paul De Grauwe & Yuemei Ji, 2012. "Self-Fulfilling Crises in the Eurozone. An Empirical Test," CESifo Working Paper Series 3821, CESifo Group Munich.
- De Grauwe, Paul & Ji, Yuemei, 2012. "Self-Fulfilling Crises in the Eurozone: An Empirical Test," CEPS Papers 7085, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Menno Middeldorp, 2011.
"Central bank transparency, the accuracy of professional forecasts, and interest rate volatility,"
496, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- M. Middeldorp, 2011. "Central Bank Transparency, the Accuracy of Professional Forecasts, and Interest Rate Volatility," Working Papers 11-12, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Falagiarda, Matteo & Reitz, Stefan, 2013.
"Announcements of ECB unconventional programs: Implications for the sovereign risk of Italy,"
Kiel Working Papers
1866, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Matteo Falagiarda & Stefan Reitz, 2013. "Announcements of ECB Unconventional Programs: Implications for the Sovereign Risk of Italy," Kiel Working Papers 1866, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Sven Steinkamp & Frank Westermann, 2012.
"On Creditor Seniority and Sovereign Bond Prices in Europe,"
92, Institute of Empirical Economic Research.
- Sven Steinkamp & Frank Westermann, 2012. "On Creditor Seniority and Sovereign Bond Prices in Europe," CESifo Working Paper Series 3944, CESifo Group Munich.
- Westermann, Frank & Steinkamp, Sven, 2013. "On Creditor Seniority and Sovereign Bond Prices in Europe," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79848, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rwi:repape:0447. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Weiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.