Finance Access of SMEs: What Role for the ECB?
Small and medium size enterprises (SMEs) of southern euro area economies (e.g. Italy, Spain) pay significantly higher borrowing rates than their peers of the core (e.g. Germany, France) and this divergence is widening. It is argued that severe market failures prevent SMEs in southern euro area countries from access to key inputs, in particular access to finance. This paper makes an assessment of feasible options to improve finance access of SMEs, available to EU institutions as well as to the ECB in the context of its price stability mandate. Because of nonnegligible moral hazard issues, the paper is sceptical about a stronger involvement of the ECB in the (indirect) financing of SMEs through the securitisation of banks`loans or their use as collateral for monetary policy operations. The paper concludes with some proposals for extending finance access of SMEs, including through mutual guarantee institutions along the lines recently pursued by the European Investment Bank.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hohenzollernstraße 1-3, 45128 Essen|
Web page: http://www.rwi-essen.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.rwi-essen.de/publikationen/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schneider, Cedric & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 2008. "On Young Innovative Companies: Why they matter and how (not) to policy support them," Working Papers 04-2008, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Columba, F. & Gambacorta, L. & Mistrulli, P.E., 2009.
"Mutual Guarantee Institutions and Small Business Finance,"
2009-32 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Columba, Francesco & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Mistrulli, Paolo Emilio, 2010. "Mutual guarantee institutions and small business finance," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 45-54, April.
- Francesco Columba & Leonardo Gambacorta & Paolo Emilio Mistrulli, 2009. "Mutual guarantee institutions and small business finance," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 735, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Francesco Columba & Leonardo Gambacorta & Paolo Emilio Mistrulli, 2009. "Mutual guarantee institutions and small business finance," BIS Working Papers 290, Bank for International Settlements.
- Berger, Allen N. & Udell, Gregory F., 2006. "A more complete conceptual framework for SME finance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(11), pages 2945-2966, November.
- Edward I. Altman & Gabriele Sabato, 2007. "Modelling Credit Risk for SMEs: Evidence from the U.S. Market," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 43(3), pages 332-357.
- Bartoli, Francesca & Ferri, Giovanni & Murro, Pierluigi & Rotondi, Zeno, 2013. "Bank–firm relations and the role of Mutual Guarantee Institutions at the peak of the crisis," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 90-104.
- Colombo, Massimo G. & Delmastro, Marco, 2002. "How effective are technology incubators?: Evidence from Italy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1103-1122, September.
- Belke, Ansgar H. & Schaal, Andreas, 2004. "Venture Capital Investment and Labor Market Performance: New Empirical Evidence for OECD Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 1447, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rwi:repape:0430. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Weiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.