Time to BRIC It? – Internationalization of European Family Firms in Europe, North America and the BRIC Countries
For a sample of 1243 European companies, we analyse the link between firm type and foreign direct investment (FDI) locations. We find substantial empirical evidence that being a family firm does not only affect the overall propensity for FDI but that this effect is also specific to target regions. Overall, family firms invest more than managerial-led firms, particularly in Europe and North America. Furthermore the BRIC countries Brazil, Russia, India and China do not constitute a homogenous attractiveness cluster for FDI.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hohenzollernstraße 1-3, 45128 Essen|
Web page: http://www.rwi-essen.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.rwi-essen.de/publikationen/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Susana Assunção & Rosa Forte & Aurora A. C. Teixeira, 2011. "Location Determinants Of Fdi: A Literature Review," FEP Working Papers 433, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Laura Alfaro & Andrew Charlton, 2007.
"Intra-Industry Foreign Direct Investment,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0825, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Laura Alfaro & Andrew Charlton, 2007. "Intra-Industry Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Working Papers 13447, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laura Alfaro & Andrew Charlton, 2007. "Intra-industry foreign direct investment," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19690, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Kontinen, Tanja & Ojala, Arto, 2010. "The internationalization of family businesses: A review of extant research," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 97-107, June.
- Gabor Hunya & Roman Stöllinger, 2009. "Foreign Direct Investment Flows between the EU and the BRICs," wiiw Research Reports 358, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Bruce A. Blonigen, 2005.
"A Review of the Empirical Literature on FDI Determinants,"
NBER Working Papers
11299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce Blonigen, 2005. "A Review of the Empirical Literature on FDI Determinants," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 33(4), pages 383-403, December.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc J. Melitz & Stephen R. Yeaple, 2004.
"Export Versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 300-316, March.
- Carlos Benavides-Velasco & Cristina Quintana-García & Vanesa Guzmán-Parra, 2013. "Trends in family business research," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 41-57, January.
- Igor Filatotchev & Johannes Stephan & Björn Jindra, 2008. "Ownership structure, strategic controls and export intensity of foreign-invested firms in transition economies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(7), pages 1133-1148, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rwi:repape:0416. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Weiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.