Is the Burden Too Small? – Effective Tax Rates in Ghana
This paper examines capital income taxation in Ghana. We calculate effective marginal tax rates (EMTR) and effective average tax rates (EATR) using an extended Devereux-Griffith methodology to accommodate for tax incentives - an exercise that has not been done so far for Ghana. We find that the wide range of tax incentives leads to a high variation of effective average tax rates in Ghana. Tax holidays and preferential income tax rates lower the effective tax burden to a significant extent and encourage individual tax avoidance strategies. Furthermore our results confirm previous findings that tax holidays, effectively reducing EATR, favor high-profit short-lived investment projects raising doubts about their rationale.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rwi-essen.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.rwi-essen.de/publikationen/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zee, Howell H. & Stotsky, Janet G. & Ley, Eduardo, 2002. "Tax Incentives for Business Investment: A Primer for Policy Makers in Developing Countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(9), pages 1497-1516, September.
- Alexander Klemm & Stefan van Parys, 2009.
"Empirical Evidenceon the Effects of Tax Incentives,"
IMF Working Papers
09/136, International Monetary Fund.
- Alexander Klemm & Stefan Parys, 2012. "Empirical evidence on the effects of tax incentives," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 393-423, June.
- A. Klemm & S. Van Parys, 2010. "Empirical Evidence on the Effects of Tax Incentives," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 10/673, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Alexander Klemm, 2008. "Effective Average Tax Rates for Permanent Investment," IMF Working Papers 08/56, International Monetary Fund.
- Junhyung Park & Sukhmani Bedi & S. M. Ali Abbas & Alexander Klemm, 2012.
"A Partial Race to the Bottom; Corporate Tax Developments in Emerging and Developing Economies,"
IMF Working Papers
12/28, International Monetary Fund.
- S. Abbas & Alexander Klemm, 2013. "A partial race to the bottom: corporate tax developments in emerging and developing economies," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 596-617, August.
- Alexander Klemm & Dennis P. J. Botman & Reza Baqir, 2008. "Investment Incentives and Effective Tax Rates in the Philippines; A Comparison with Neighboring Countries," IMF Working Papers 08/207, International Monetary Fund.
- Stefan Parys & Sebastian James, 2010. "The effectiveness of tax incentives in attracting investment: panel data evidence from the CFA Franc zone," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 17(4), pages 400-429, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rwi:repape:0389. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Weiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.