Board Accountability and Risk Taking in Banking – Evidence from a Quasi-Experiment
In this paper, a law reform is evaluated that aimed at improving the corporate governance of German savings banks by tightening accountability and legal liability of outside directors. The causal effect of this reform on bank risk is identified by difference-in-differences and triple differences strategies. The estimation results show that savings banks subject to the reform increased capital and liquidity ratios. Hence, they have become less vulnerable to unexpected losses and liquidity shocks. This indicates that the low occurrence of outside director litigation reflects incentive effects of current liability regimes.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rwi-essen.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.rwi-essen.de/publikationen/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rüdiger Fahlenbrach & Angie Low & René M. Stulz, 2010.
"The Dark Side of Outside Directors: Do they Quit When They are Most Needed?,"
Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series
10-17, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Fahlenbrach, Rudiger & Low, Angie & Stulz, Rene M., 2010. "The Dark Side of Outside Directors: Do They Quit When They Are Most Needed?," Working Paper Series 2010-7, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Rüdiger Fahlenbrach & Angie Low & René M. Stulz, 2010. "The dark side of outside directors: Do they quit when they are most needed?," NBER Working Papers 15917, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & Stephen J. Trejo, 1997.
"The Demand for Hours of Labor: Direct Evidence from California,"
NBER Working Papers
5973, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & Stephen J. Trejo, 2000. "The Demand for Hours of Labor: Direct Evidence from California," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(1), pages 38-47, February.
- Pathan, Shams, 2009. "Strong boards, CEO power and bank risk-taking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1340-1350, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rwi:repape:0313. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Weiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.