Structural Change and Spurious Persistence in Stochastic Volatility
We extend the well established link between structural change and estimated persistence from GARCH to stochastic volatility (SV) models. Whenever structural changes in some model parameters increase the empirical autocorrelations of the squares of the underlying time series, the persistence in volatility implied by the estimated model parameters follows suit. This explains why stochastic volatility often appears to be more persistent when estimated from a larger sample as then the likelihood increases that there might have been some structural change in between.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.rwi-essen.de/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.rwi-essen.de/publikationen/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hillebrand, Eric, 2005. "Neglecting parameter changes in GARCH models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1-2), pages 121-138.
- M. Angeles Carnero, 2004. "Persistence and Kurtosis in GARCH and Stochastic Volatility Models," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 2(2), pages 319-342.
- Arie Preminger & Christian M. Hafner, 2006.
"Deciding Between Garch And Stochastic Volatility Via Strong Decision Rules,"
0603, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Department of Economics.
- PREMINGER, Arie & HAFNER, Christian M., 2006. "Deciding between GARCH and stochastic volatility via strong decision rules," CORE Discussion Papers 2006042, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Thomas Mikosch & Catalin Starica, 2004. "Non-stationarities in financial time series, the long range dependence and the IGARCH effects," Econometrics 0412005, EconWPA.
- Andersson, Jonas, 2001. "On the Normal Inverse Gaussian Stochastic Volatility Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(1), pages 44-54, January.
- Antonis Demos, 2002. "Moments and dynamic structure of a time-varying parameter stochastic volatility in mean model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(2), pages 345-357, 06.
- Prof. Dr. Walter Krämer & Baudouin Tameze Azamo, .
"Structural change and estimated persistence in the GARCH(1,1)-model,"
5, Business and Social Statistics Department, Technische Universität Dortmund, revised May 2006.
- Kramer, Walter & Azamo, Baudouin Tameze, 2007. "Structural change and estimated persistence in the GARCH(1,1)-model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 17-23, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rwi:repape:0310. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Weiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.